Baffled by my baffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffled by my baffle

I ordered some packing for the muffler on my no-name 4-1 exhaust because it was louder than I wanted. when I pulled out the baffle a few minutes ago this is what I found:
    Not what I was expecting for sure. No, the wrench wasn't rattling around in there. It surprises me though that it is as quiet as it is. Does anyone recognize this superb craftsmanship? I thought someone may be able to put a name to this masterpiece. Anway, I guess I will be fabbing a baffle with which I can utilize my packing. Something along the design of a glasspack "cherry bomb". Comments? Anyone got a better idea?

I think it's a Mac header mine is the same as that one in pic,,Brian

Comment

That is how my 2 to 1 Mac was built on my 450. A fellow a few years ago packed his Mac with insulation and had it blowing out the rear. I forget how he remedied it. Maybe hardware cloth (coarse screen).

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Pack it with a very coarse stainless steel mesh.

I have seen that design before, but never did know who made it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I could see right off that wrapping that in packing would result in a trail of fiberglass for about 10 miles. As a matter of fact I read a negative review on Amazon about a certain packing being blown out the back. It's not the fault of the packing. These just aren't designed to use it.

Comment

I bought a brand new 4 into 1 Mac and that is what the baffle looked like. There was no packing at all in it, so I would assume packing for this design of baffle wouldn't work. But couldn't say for sure.

Comment

Packing is used when the baffle has a straight continuous tube with louvers or holes cut into the diameter and no obstructions through the bore. You wrap the packing around the outside of the tube to absorb the sound. If you put packing on the baffle in the photo you will obstruct the exhaust from exiting the silencer.

Comment

Working...
              X