I'm now a beleiver on petcock rebuild kits sucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now a beleiver on petcock rebuild kits sucking

I purchased a petcock rebuild kit and THOUGHT it was a successful install. Everything seemed to work just fine for the first few days. Today I went to start the GS1000G only to find the cylinders almost hydro-locked. I pulled the hose off the petcock and... Gas poured out like it was in the prime position. I know I need to see why the gas got past the floats as well. All new float needle and seats were installed. I'll de-gang the carbs and check each one to verify float level and see if there is any creep.

Just ordered a new OEM petcock from PartsOutlaw.com with a free shipping promo code. $82 later I'll have a new OEM petcock coming. I should have listened to those that said that the success rate was low on the rebuild kits.

I will analyze the reason for failure and post back.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

One of the great gs mysterys.

Comment

I know the reason the ones I have tried failed..the oring on the plunger that seals against the counter sunk area are too ft and they hang up and wedge in there sideways. And Im have never found that "just right " oring either.

And be sure to change the oil before you crank it over and fill the filter full of gasoline also. Bet the crankcase smells ripe.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm curious about the float problem and what you did exactly to fix it.

This is why I wanted to add an inline fuel valve somewhere along my fuel line. Still kinda do.

Comment

Rebuild Kits

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          I purchased a petcock rebuild kit and THOUGHT it was a successful install. Everything seemed to work just fine for the first few days. Today I went to start the GS1000G only to find the cylinders almost hydro-locked. I pulled the hose off the petcock and... Gas poured out like it was in the prime position. I know I need to see why the gas got past the floats as well. All new float needle and seats were installed. I'll de-gang the carbs and check each one to verify float level and see if there is any creep.

Just ordered a new OEM petcock from PartsOutlaw.com with a free shipping promo code. $82 later I'll have a new OEM petcock coming. I should have listened to those that said that the success rate was low on the rebuild kits.

I will analyze the reason for failure and post back.

That sucks! At this point I'm a little concerned about the amount of money I'm spending on my 32 year old "T". {Reason: Just when I fix an area, it somehow manages to unfix itself}

Anyway, I buy lots of parts from partsoutlaw but my recent purchase of a Fuel Petcock was through Z1...and it cost me just over $50 including shipping. Of course, I bought my V&H 4-1 pipes and Progressive Shocks from them so they have a history of my purchases.

I bought all the components for a Camchain Tensioner rebuild and have yet to complete it. (From Partsoutlaw) I've got to get the front sprocket loosened so I can complete my 530 conversion. (Oh yeah, I got my kit from Z1 as well)

Post pics of your new part as well as the old. Disassembly pics would be good too. I recommend Z1 for those components I purchased.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I haven't found a petcock for a 1980 GS1000G on Z1's site. Let alone for $50. Even if I did, I'm a little too gun shy to go any route then OEM now.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I bought the one from Z1, but as stated on here before, they are different.
              Mine also failed, and i replaced it with OEM.
              I cant remember the Z1 owners name on here, but i believe he generously offered another one if i sent the failed one back, not really worth the gamble + postage from here unfortunately.

Comment

Oem

I haven't found a petcock for a 1980 GS1000G on Z1's site. Let alone for $50. Even if I did, I'm a little too gun shy to go any route then OEM now.

It's best to call them...Rob from Z1 is awesome! Option 1, btw.

I'll happily report back my findings on the fuel petcock I purchased. Trust me, I'm all about OEM parts...ask Mike at Partsoutlaw.

Of course, when I spend money, I look forward to the happiness it will bring. That's probably why I don't mind spending it. I am clearly happy with the results.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Happiness

Originally posted by mrbill5491
                  Ed is happy happy happy. Well, I at least try to help out on that. He loves ride. So far so happy. I would like to try and help him with his other fixes, though I'm afraid time is running out before he has to leave.

OMG, Bill...you have been a God sent.

So eager to help me it is truly a testament to the great person you are. I am grateful to have you as a friend.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Ed is happy happy happy. Well, I at least try to help out on that. He loves to ride. So far so happy. I would like to try and help him with his other fixes, though I'm afraid time is running out before he has to leave. Oh yeah Ed, we kind of have a new air compressor, still in the box yet though. I can't use it until the boss gets his reimbursement check for it. Was on sale at Sears so we rushed into buying it with out an Okay from the chairman of the board lol. If they bulk at it, we may have to take it back boohoo. Hopefully they won't make too big a stink about it. If not, I'll need something, like say a stubborn sprocket nut to break it in lol.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Sprocket Lock

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      Oh yeah Ed, we kind of have a new air compressor, still in the box yet though. I can't use it until the boss gets his reimbursement check for it. Was on sale at Sears so we rushed into buying it with out an Okay from the chairman of the board lol. If they bulk at it, we may have to take it back boohoo. Hopefully they won't make too big a stink about it. If not, I'll need something, like say a stubborn sprocket nut to break it in lol.
                      I'm kinda at a standstill with the sprocket...since your 630 chain is working fine, I am not in a rush to R-square it. (R2/Remove & Replace)

We've got a busy month...not sure if I'm gonna do the 530 conversion before I leave NM. I can't believe I've been here since Oct and now when crunch time is near, all the excitement seems to be happening.

I truly hope I mis-diagnosed my oil leak...looking forward to this weekend's acitivities in Ruidoso.

Ed
                      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-14-2014, 04:17 AM.
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        One of the great gs mysterys.
                        Yup, not much to them.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

$82 later I'll have a new OEM petcock coming
                          $82 for an OEM petcock?? The petcock for my bike is listed on partsoutlaw for $267.

Comment

i found that the reason for repair kits to fail is because the little O ring. On the end of the prime screw is not included in the kit, & its this that lets fuel past.

Comment

This Florida guy sells different petcocks direct and thru ebay- might have your model. I bought one two years ago; made in Japan and a duplicate of the the original . I suspect the same manufacturer supplies suzuki dealers with their replacement units. Here's his leverless 80 version.....

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X