I'm now a beleiver on petcock rebuild kits sucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    This Florida guy sells different petcocks direct and thru ebay- might have your model. I bought one two years ago; made in Japan and a duplicate of the the original . I suspect the same manufacturer supplies suzuki dealers with their replacement units. Here's his leverless 80 version.....

http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/th...S850%2C/Detail
    I've done a lot of business with georgefix.
    Good seller.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The petcock on my 1980 is the one with a lever so it's a little pricier then the no valve type he lists. Still feel that $82 delivered for an OEM petcock is a reasonable price. At least I wont have to worry about it for a while.

Now, as to how the gas got through the float bowl valves is another question that needs to be resolved. Looks like I'm going to have to pull the carbs and see which one is leaking.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        This Florida guy sells different petcocks direct and thru ebay- might have your model. I bought one two years ago; made in Japan and a duplicate of the the original . I suspect the same manufacturer supplies suzuki dealers with their replacement units. Here's his leverless 80 version.....

http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/th...S850%2C/Detail
        Plus 1 on George. I used him for replacements on both my bikes. And like you I suspect they are the same manufacturer Suzuki uses...
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          Plus 1 on George. I used him for replacements on both my bikes. And like you I suspect they are the same manufacturer Suzuki uses...

I have used his valve cover gaskets in the past and they seem exactly the same as Suzuki.
          1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by viperg View Post
            I have used his valve cover gaskets in the past and they seem exactly the same as Suzuki.
            Wish I'd known that. I just bought two OEM's......
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I've done a lot of business with georgefix.
              Good seller.
              X2

GREAT prices and fast shipping. Every petcock that I buy, comes from him and some of them are 6~7 years old and still function perfect.

Comment

Are the petcocks from georgefix oem? It doesn't seem that they would be for such a small price?

Comment

Still Going with Z1

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
                  Are the petcocks from georgefix oem? It doesn't seem that they would be for such a small price?
                  I got my fuel petcock today...looks just like the original and is stamped: Made in Japan. I'm not ready to install it just yet but I will get pics posted here if interested. Also, will report on the quality of a Z1 part.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Ed, have you installed your petcock yet? I'm looking to purchase one for my 650 and was hoping to hear an update.

Comment

My son's '80 1000G also had a failed petcock. I have ordered (and received) a new OEM petcock.

Weather permitting, I will be installing it this evening (and changing the oil/filter).

For those whe were commenting on the '80 leverless petcock, the "G" shafties were thankfully spared that atrocity
                      (we have two of them in the stable), although the "GLs" were, indeed cursed with them.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by _Scotty_ View Post
                        Ed, have you installed your petcock yet? I'm looking to purchase one for my 650 and was hoping to hear an update.
                        The georgefix petcock is fine- as good as OEM and decent price. This model has more reserve but he has another

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X