Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rpms jumping up to 4000 when throttle closed ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rpms jumping up to 4000 when throttle closed ?

I registered and plated my new to my Suzuki gs850 (1979). I refilled the leaky back tire to try to ride to the shop and have replaced. I managed to start it let it warm and is acting weird. Sometimes full choke does nothing other times idles at 2000. Tried to get it back in the shed and it would only stall when trying to move or I would need to play with throttle to keep running. With throttle closed would idle to 4000 rpms then drop. Can anyone advise ?

If this is a bike that is new to you, have you done the required maintenance, specifically valve adjustment and carb cleaning?

A rising or hanging idle is usually attributed to a lean mixture. Could be clogged jets in the carbs or leaks in the intake tube o-rings.

Good luck with a shop that will remove your wheels to change the tires. At the very least, you should remove your wheels yourself and just take them to the dealer.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your bike is crying out for some long overdue attention- i.e. maintenance. Of course, you saw and read this stuff about common issues...???

Remember your safety depends on the bike running well, so you can focus on other stuff.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It looks like I should start doing the maintenance on it now then.

I was thinking I could get the bike ridden at least on the way to the bike shop for the tire... (Time saver...as the bike did not have a center stand when purchased, I need to have the shop special order the pins for the center stand I ordered off ebay to be connected to the frame.)

Once I get the center stand on there I can try to muddle my way through the rest of it (remove the rear wheel, bring to shop and purchase/mount tire on the rim, replace rim on bike.

That will keep the bike from falling over again (if the rear tire goes flat the handlebars need to be turned or the bike falls over on the right hand side, the kickstand seems to hold the bike almost upright)

after that I will have to try and muddle my way through removing the carbs, cleaning them out and reattaching, then valve adjustment, carb sync.

Comment

Let me know when you get the centerstand attached.

I can help with all the rest of that stuff.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
            It looks like I should start doing the maintenance on it now then.
            This is probably my favorite forum on the board. I get a huge kick out of the carburetor questions. Yes, you should attend to the long-overdue maintenance items first.

after that I will have to try and muddle my way through removing the carbs, cleaning them out and reattaching, then valve adjustment, carb sync.
            Actually, the first bit of maintenance should be adjusting the valves. After that, check the compression. If that is OK, then work on the carbs and/or exhaust.

Comment

Working...
            X