4 into 2 pipes query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 2 pipes query

is it possible to weld all four pipes so there are no joins on a GS ?
    can they still be removed?
    would they crack over time?
    any thoughts on the topic would be great.

I wouldn't but a friend of mine is wanting to and said I'll get some second opinions . apart from the above I can't give him any other reasons why not too do it.
    Thank

It might depend on exactly which model he is working on.

Most of the bikes that I have worked on NEEDED to have two pipes that could be removed separately. Sometimes it's the inner pipes, sometimes it's the outer pipes, but it's ALWAYS necessary.

A couple of months ago, I had an 850 in my garage. Had a super-hard time trying to slip the pipes loose, so we just lowered them as best we could. REALLY hard to do, and we were fighting the pipes all the way. Once they were down and away from the bike, we were able to get them apart to make installation easier. I don't think we would have gotten them back on the bike if they were in one piece.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought removing and fitting would be a problem its on a 80 850

Comment

I agree with Steve - on an '80 GS850G with the crossover "pre-muffler", you can't make it all a one-piece unit.

I'm running '79 pipes on mine (no crossover). You can fit each side up as a one-piece unit. Its a PIA, but you can do it. The ones I bought look nice and have no holes, but were pretty much forever stuck together. But even with no crossover, I'd hate to try and fit all of it up as a one-piece unit.

As with many modification questions here on the GSR - why? Those of us who have systems that won't come apart would love to be able to do that. Why make life more difficult. The welding will also destroy the chrome at the joints, which will then rust faster.

Where's the upside to welding the pipes into one big honkin' system?

Comment

he was thinking it would stop him fixing leaks every six months for warrant of fitness (test to make sure road worthy)

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
          I agree with Steve - on an '80 GS850G with the crossover "pre-muffler", you can't make it all a one-piece unit.

I'm running '79 pipes on mine (no crossover). You can fit each side up as a one-piece unit. Its a PIA, but you can do it. The ones I bought look nice and have no holes, but were pretty much forever stuck together. But even with no crossover, I'd hate to try and fit all of it up as a one-piece unit.

As with many modification questions here on the GSR - why? Those of us who have systems that won't come apart would love to be able to do that. Why make life more difficult. The welding will also destroy the chrome at the joints, which will then rust faster.

Where's the upside to welding the pipes into one big honkin' system?

Comment

It is possible to remove the "H" pipe (pre-muffler).

Replace it with a couple sections of 1 1/4" pipe that are 7" long. You can weld those into place, if you wish, but the stock clamps work just fine.

Here is why I did this modification:

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Steve for the idea.

Bumping this old thread after a search as I had to do this to mine as the balance box looked okay until I tried to remove it and it fractured. Like yours it was too far gone to repair.

Replaced with a couple of suaged sections (LINKY) to take the 38mm down pipe and 10" long (needs cutting)

All fitted up using the old seals along with some exhaust assembly paste.
              The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Just cut them to 7" long, you will be good to go.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X