Issues with sync'ing carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with sync'ing carbs

I have a 650GS that I am trying to sync the carbs. When I try to sync the tool to the number three carb all four levels want to go right to the top....i have the screws on the MotionPro sync tool all the way out to get the liquid level as low as possible.

I can sync the tool to one of the other carbs, but the number three has a lot more vacuum.

My first assumption is that the other three carbs were way out of sync...that the number three was much more open than the others. Therefore increased the other three until it was idling at 3k, and then turned the idle screw almost all the way out to get the idle back down to ~ 1200 RPM. After doing this, it still wants to suck the liquid into the engine.

I also sprayed starting fluid around the intake boots, and did not perceive any increase in idle, so assuming no vac leaks.

I did do the idle adjustment using the highest idle method, and all four screws are sitting at abt 2 3/4 turns out. Bike is completely stock. Carbs were dip cleaned and re O'ringed.

I used the very same tool to sync the carbs on my other 650 and was successful, so don't think it is the tool.

Any suggestions as to where to look next would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2014, 03:12 PM.

When you had the carbs off for cleaning, did you do a bench sync? That would have gotten them close enough to get it running for the vacuum sync.

If #3 has higher vacuum, it is virtually CLOSED, the engine is running on the other three carbs. Turn the adjuster between #3 and #2 to close them down a bit to match #3. The manual calls for matching #2 to #3 first, then setting #1 "half a ball" higher. Finally, set #4 to match #1.

Through experimentation with a factory gauge, I have found that "half a ball" is 2cm of Mercury. That would be TWO of the marks on the sides of your gauge. (Yes, I have one of them, too.)

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Isnt 3 preset and an unadjustable on that bike? You sync the other three to match number 3s vacuum...which will change as you balance the others??
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by mhobryan View Post
        I have a 650GS that I am trying to sync the carbs. When I try to sync the tool to the number three carb all four levels want to go right to the top....i have the screws on the MotionPro sync tool all the way out to get the liquid level as low as possible.

I used the very same tool to sync the carbs on my other 650 and was successful, so don't think it is the tool.
        How long ago did you sync the carb on that other 650? It sounds like the fluid level is low on your syncpro. The fluid is water based and it evaporates.

Comment

Thanks Steve - This helps; I had assumed the opposite that it was mostly running on the #3. Yes, did bench sync, however, I got the nuts a bit tight, and had to use a socket to loosen; the set screw moved with the nut mucking up my bench sync.

I did my other 650 about 2 mos ago, and the tool has been sitting in my basement; don't think it evaporated that quickly.

Comment

I did my other 650 about 2 mos ago, and the tool has been sitting in my basement; don't think it evaporated that quickly.
            Did you cap off the tool when you stored it? In any case check the reservoir and compare the level against new, the lower the level gets the less vacuum the syncpro can handle before sucking it into the engine. At a fast idle the syncpro shouldn't be full scale and sucking fluid into the engine. The last time I synced my 750 with my syncpro, I was at 1/3 to 1/2 of the scale with all the screws turned in some. The fluid has since evaporated into uselessness so next sync I do I'll have to refill it first.

Comment

Just wanted to provide some feedback:

Steve - Your suggestion worked; thanks. Was able to get the carb's mostly sync'd. However it seems to be really immune to idle speed adjustments. Think I'm going to have to pull, bench sync, and pull the carbs a part and make sure they are still clean....dipped them abt a year ago, but can't remember if I drained the carbs before storing.

Killer2600 - Do you just put a golf tee in the vacuum tubes to cap it? Think my levels are fine, as after i got the carbs quasi close, running out of tube length wasn't an issue, but as i don't use very often, would like for it to be usable next time.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, but there are a couple of things that are raising red flags here.
                Was able to get the carb's mostly sync'd.
                How can you possibly have the gauges connected and only get them "mostly" synchronized?

However it seems to be really immune to idle speed adjustments.
                You really mean that you turn the large idle speed adjustment knob and nothing happens?

Think I'm going to have to pull, bench sync, and pull the carbs a part and make sure they are still clean....dipped them abt a year ago, but can't remember if I drained the carbs before storing.
                This one is REALLY puzzling. You already have them "mostly" vacuum synchronized, there is NOTHING to be gained by pulling them to do a bench sync. At least not until after you take them apart and dip them again. It is not necessary to drain carbs for storage, if you use a stabilizer in the fuel before parking the bike.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

However it seems to be really immune to idle speed adjustments. Think I'm going to have to pull, bench sync, and pull the carbs a part and make sure they are still clean....dipped them abt a year ago, but can't remember if I drained the carbs before storing.
                  Try setting the mixture screws again using the highest RPM method (or whatever works for you), get the bike running as well as you can & drive it with a couple of tank fulls of seafoam ladden fuel...

Then re-assess your issues...
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

We took the carbs off my sons 850 last week to change out the starter. When we put back in we got the throttle cable all goofy and nuts tightened in the wrong place and had no idle knob adjustment at all. Put it back to where it needed to be and all was good again. Something to look at

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Thanks for the feedback, but there are a couple of things that are raising red flags here.

How can you possibly have the gauges connected and only get them "mostly" synchronized?
                      Got all four gauges where they were supposed to be, however, because I couldn't get it to idle at 1500 RPM as the suggest best speed for sync'ing, qualified it with 'mostly'. Carbs were sync'd at about 1000 RPM

You really mean that you turn the large idle speed adjustment knob and nothing happens?
                      I turn the large idle speed adjustment a qtr turn, blip the throttle let it come back down, turn another quarter turn, etc, would do this about 4 times, nothing would happen, and then it would all of a sudden jump to 3k. It would either idle at about 800-1000 rpm or 3000.

This one is REALLY puzzling. You already have them "mostly" vacuum synchronized, there is NOTHING to be gained by pulling them to do a bench sync. At least not until after you take them apart and dip them again. It is not necessary to drain carbs for storage, if you use a stabilizer in the fuel before parking the bike.
                      I "think" I put gas stabilizer in it, but can't remember; it did have a full tank of gas, which makes me think that I did. If I have to dip, they are going to come off anyways. I was going to pull them off, check that they were still clean, validate all the little orifices will still flow with a shot of WD40, etc. If they passed this visual inspection was going to bench sync while I have them out, and ensure that the idle speed adjustment is 2 turns out per normal specs.

Will check throttle cable as suggested by others. If you feel I am chasing the wrong source of my idle gremlins, I am open to suggestions.

Comment

..., and ensure that the idle speed adjustment is 2 turns out per normal specs.
                        "The idle speed adjustment is 2 turns out" ... from WHAT???

You sure you have the right names for the right parts?

The idle SPEED adjustment is the large knob that hangs between the float bowls of carbs 2 and 3.
                        It gets turned IN until it opens the throttle enough for the engine to idle.
                        It does not get "2 turns out" from anything.

The idle MIXTURE screws are the little screws on top of the outlets of the carbs. They originally came from the factory with sealing plugs on them. In the course of a rebuild (or just getting it to run right), the plugs need to come off and the screws adjusted. "2 turns out" might be where they end up, but it might also be a bit too lean for it to run properly, which could be one source your your aggravation. Turn them out THREE turns (those are full 360-degree turns) to start with (pun itended). When the engine is warmed up enough to turn off the "choke", you can start adjusting the mixture.

With your sync gauges still connected (after the carb sync), turn a mixture screw in, to see if the vacuum level rises. Note that it will rise in ALL cylinders. The vacuum will rise because the engine is running faster on a 'happier' mixture, with no change in the throttle setting. Repeat on the other mixture screws until your vacuum level is the highest possible.

You should now find that your idle SPEED control now works just fine.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

You could also have a vacuum leak.

S.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response Steve.

I meant two turns out, not in, on the idle speed adjustment screw. Yesterday I started the mixture screws at 3 turns out. Today, I started about 2.5 turns in, as it seemed like it was rich at idle, let off the throttle, and it would bog/die. went down to 1.5 turns in on each of the carbs, still doing the same thing. Figured that had to be too lean, then went back to 2.25 turns in, and then it couldn't make up it's mind whether to bog and die, or just hang at 2k RPM.

It simply won't hold an idle, which makes me think I have gunk in the carbs. I've adjusted valves, replaced all o rings including the ones behind the intake boots. The bike has been sitting for over a year since I did the dip and rebuild... probably didn't stabilize the gas.

Silverhorse - I may have an air leak, but it used to idle fine before...I'm placing my bet on the carbs based on the way it is acting...simply won't hold an idle.

Thanks again.

Comment

What made you think it was too rich at 3 turns out? Did you look at the plugs after the first start at that setting and were they very black? My bike is actually set to about 3 turns on each carb and I'm seeing it running fine.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X