Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing with the Motion Pro unit

1981 650GL, completely stock

According to the shop manual when the carbs are synced with the Suzuki tool 1 and 4 should sit half a ball higher than 2 and 3. How does this translate over to the Motion Pro sync tool, as in how many lines on the MP tool equals half a ball on the Suzuki tool? I seem to recall reading about this somewhere on this forum but a search yielded no results.

Thanks!
    K

It's not critical at all. A little bit? A Smidgeon? An RCH probably isn't enough, but a whole bunch is way too much..
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Maybe you read bwringers tutorial with a different sync tool- principle is the same. I've never used either

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        It's not critical at all. A little bit? A Smidgeon? An RCH probably isn't enough, but a whole bunch is way too much..
        What is a RCH? I more visually oriented, got any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
          1981 650GL, completely stock

According to the shop manual when the carbs are synced with the Suzuki tool 1 and 4 should sit half a ball higher than 2 and 3. How does this translate over to the Motion Pro sync tool, as in how many lines on the MP tool equals half a ball on the Suzuki tool? I seem to recall reading about this somewhere on this forum but a search yielded no results.

Thanks!
          K
          1 and 4 will be higher than 2 and 3 that's the only translation. How much difference varies depending on the given syncpro's current calibration and fluid level. The syncpro is a relative measuring device, it's not absolute like a mercury i.e. full-scale on a syncpro depends on fill level and calibration screw setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
            1 and 4 will be higher than 2 and 3 that's the only translation. How much difference varies depending on the given syncpro's current calibration and fluid level. The syncpro is a relative measuring device, it's not absolute like a mercury i.e. full-scale on a syncpro depends on fill level and calibration screw setting.
            For a 4:1 with pods we just do them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
              According to the shop manual when the carbs are synced with the Suzuki tool 1 and 4 should sit half a ball higher than 2 and 3. How does this translate over to the Motion Pro sync tool, as in how many lines on the MP tool equals half a ball on the Suzuki tool?
              Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
              1 and 4 will be higher than 2 and 3 that's the only translation. How much difference varies depending on the given syncpro's current calibration and fluid level.
              I have not used a SyncPro enough to be familiar with the fact that its calibration changes with fluid level, but I can say with certainty that Suzuki's "half a ball" difference is 2cm of mercury in my gauges.

The SyncPro gauge that I have here (and don't use because the reservoir is cracked) has marks that are about 1cm apart, so, if you insist on not lining up all the vacuum levels, keep them within two marks.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                For a 4:1 with pods we just do them equal.
                When you see a completely stock 1981 650GL that came with a 4:1 and pods be sure to let me know

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I have not used a SyncPro enough to be familiar with the fact that its calibration changes with fluid level, but I can say with certainty that Suzuki's "half a ball" difference is 2cm of mercury in my gauges.

The SyncPro gauge that I have here (and don't use because the reservoir is cracked) has marks that are about 1cm apart, so, if you insist on not lining up all the vacuum levels, keep them within two marks.

If you scour youtube for motionpro's videos on syncpro usage and refilling they point out these facts. In one of the comments they respond to someone asking how many cmhg is each mark on the tool, in which they reply how the syncpro doesn't correlate with mercury manometers where the markings are specific set levels of vacuum because of the reasons I already gave in my other post.

How is your reservoir cracked? It's plastic! And yes, I insist on not lining up my levels even, because the old Japanese guy that made my bike told me to and because I don't have a 4-1 headache maker Old wise Asians are very wise, you'd do good - live longer with less headache - if you listen to them more.

Comment

Difference

Your gonna laugh but the dot next to our user names on this forum is about how much lower two and three should be.

Comment

Originally posted by gs550rebuildguy View Post
                    Your gonna laugh but the dot next to our user names on this forum is about how much lower two and three should be.
                    That would depend a bit on the size of your screen, and, to some degree, how much you have the font magnified to compensate for old age.

If you have a Suzuki gauge, the size of the ball does not change.

If you have gauges that relate to actual pressures (not just a differential), it's still 2cm, regardless of your computer screen.

If you have differential gauges, you are pretty much on your own on how much difference to add.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

set them all the same. worked for me for 30+ years with no complaints...
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I seem to recall the gauges were the same for all four, but the middle two were set a notch richer on the needles ('79) to compensate for the heat of the middle cylinders. I unrecall what Book of Lies that came from, but it worked fine.
                        Of course, all that synchronising bollocks is no longer part of my life, since fitting a big S.U. Handily enough, the layout of the cut'nshut intake manifold gives the middle two a little bit extra anyway, so there's a happy thing.
                        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                        X