seafoam ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seafoam ?

Does this product actually work ? I have heard lots about it .. some say it doesnt work , some say its awsome stuff and will clean up not only your carbs but your valves too .. i hearsome even put it in there oil !!! just looking for different opinions on the product and how to properly use it ?? And if it is a benefit to the bike at all ??

Probably depends on what you want it to do.

Not a magic bullet.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've used it as a fuel stabilizer when the bike won't be running for a while. I also stick a half a can in the fuel tank every 3 or 4 months. Can't really say what it does other than the bike runs good. Never tried the oil thing....
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
      https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Probably depends on what you want it to do.

Not a magic bullet.
        This bike sat for a few yrs pryor to me getting it ,and a couple people had suggested it couldnt hurt if I ran this stuff, both through the carbs , and a small amount in a full tank, also was told it could clean up your valves a bit ..I would like to get around to doing a full carb dip sooner then later .. im not exspecting it to be some magic juice , that makes the bike perform like it was off the showroom floor lol ... one can only dream !! Haha

Comment

It can't hurt, and the most your going to lose is the 12 bucks you spent on getting a can of it....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            It can't hurt, and the most your going to lose is the 12 bucks you spent on getting a can of it....

Lol I didnt purchase it yet ... figured if it did do any good you all hear would be able to tell me if it is worth the effort ...

Comment

I use it reguarly in the fuel as a cleaner & stabilizer (approx. 1/2 oz per gallon) - works very well IMO.

When preparing my bike for its long winter nap (4-5 months), I add 2-3 oz of Seafoam per gallon to a full tank. Come Spring, it starts right up & I burn through that old fuel before filling with fresh gas - never had an issue...

You might notice a little white smoke (and "sweet" smell) from the exhaust at high concentartion levels.

I have used it in the oil a couple of times, but only to clean out a suspect project bike's crankcase - maybe 1 or 2 oz at the most. Run it for 5-10 mins, then change out the oil & filter. You will notice the oil will be BLACK.

I would not use it in the oil as a regular treatment.

As always, your results may vary...

mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                I use it reguarly in the fuel as a cleaner & stabilizer (approx. 1/2 oz per gallon) - works very well IMO.

When preparing my bike for its long winter nap (4-5 months), I add 2-3 oz of Seafoam per gallon to a full tank. Come Spring, it starts right up & I burn through that old fuel before filling with fresh gas - never had an issue...

You might notice a little white smoke (and "sweet" smell) from the exhaust at high concentartion levels.

I have used it in the oil a couple of times, but only to clean out a suspect project bike's crankcase - maybe 1 or 2 oz at the most. Run it for 5-10 mins, then change out the oil & filter. You will notice the oil will be BLACK.

I would not use it in the oil as a regular treatment.

As always, your results may vary...

mike
                Awsome .. thank you very much for your opinion !!
                Sor the sake of $12 bucks I may give it a try ...

Comment

I prefer Justice Brothers fuel injection cleaner. After I laid my bike over I let it sit a while. After the repairs I took it for a ride and it didn't run right. I used JB in two tank fulls and afterward the problem was gone. I tried Seafoam a couple times in the past and didn't notice a difference. It could be because I was expecting too much of it.

Can't hurt to try. Just don't expect it to do too big of a job.

Comment

Like I was saying,,,,it might do something for you it might not, for my GS it did nothing a a full carb cleaning was required, on my FZ it was getting a lot of backfiring, and some stalling at idle, even though I cleaned the carbs during the rebuild mind you not a full tear down and dip, so I used a bottle of the seafaom and high grade fuel, and bike seems to run much better, so it seems it did something to help.....

worse case scenario it don't do Jack, and your going to tear the carbs apart and do a full dip and rebuild....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                      Like I was saying,,,,it might do something for you it might not, for my GS it did nothing a a full carb cleaning was required, on my FZ it was getting a lot of backfiring, and some stalling at idle, even though I cleaned the carbs during the rebuild mind you not a full tear down and dip, so I used a bottle of the seafaom and high grade fuel, and bike seems to run much better, so it seems it did something to help.....

worse case scenario it don't do Jack, and your going to tear the carbs apart and do a full dip and rebuild....

Thx . I plan on doing a full carb rebuild , just not now !! Maybe when I see a good few days of rain in the forcast .. in first gear the throttle has a few sputters around the 4000 rpm area , had a bit of issues in 2 nd gear but the more I ride the bike the better it seams to be .. 3 rd 4 th and 5 th seams fine !!!

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
                        Thx . I plan on doing a full carb rebuild , just not now !! Maybe when I see a good few days of rain in the forcast .. in first gear the throttle has a few sputters around the 4000 rpm area , had a bit of issues in 2 nd gear but the more I ride the bike the better it seams to be .. 3 rd 4 th and 5 th seams fine !!!
                        My bike sat for twelve years. Amazingly enough it started and ran even with the twelve year old gas albeit crappily. I disconnected the fuel line and sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner down it a few times and ran it til it stopped. Then a few weeks later the carbs were completely rebuilt with all new O rings and a thorough cleaning as well as new boot O rings as it had a hanging idle. Someone else will have chime in to say whether what I did was stupid or not but it worked......
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

i gave the sea foam a try over the weekend on the 78 gs 1000 e , not sure if it helped out the issue i am having , but the smoke show was WAY COOL !!! for a moment i though i was at a Alice coopper concert .... had my daughter flick the front house light on and off real quick and it added to the effects !!! lmfao

Comment

LOL

of all the times I used seafoam, I never had a smoke show, going to have to try a higher concentration of it one time.....last time I used 3/4 of the bottle to a tank of gas, still no smoke....

well at least you tried, and who knows maybe it did help....

Comment

The more you guys use sea foam the more spark plugs and carb cleans I get to sell.

#1 additive that makes more work for a motorcycle mechanic.
                              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                              X