Float bowl drain and fuel height level adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float bowl drain and fuel height level adapter

Ok, i've been working on this idea for a few weeks as there seems to be a lot of people recently asking about the fuel height adapter for the float bowls.
    Also, i dunno about you but isn't it a PITA if you want to drain your carbs (for whatever reason) and you have to find a tray of some sort to lay under them to catch the draining fuel?
    Well, these adapters not only let you drain the fuel easily and with no fuel dribbling all over your freshly painted motor, but also you can quickly check your float bowl fuel level heights if you are having any sort of carb issues........

Same principle as a brake bleed nipple (screw). Attach a length of clear pipe and crack open the bleed screw. lift the pipe up to check float bowl level or drop it down to a waiting bucket to drain them.

This is the first prototype but i think they look good and work well. they do stick out a little bit but it will be easy enough to make them a bit shorter (not by much though).
    You could put a small rubber cap on them, same as brake bleed nipples to keep the crap out and prevent any unwanted dribbles, should they occur.

NOW THE DOWNSIDE!!!!!!

After much messing about and trial and error, the ONLY way i could get this to work is to drill out the drain hole in the bowl to a larger size, 8mm.
    This means having to modify your float bowls.......

Any thoughts, arguments, improvements, criticism welcome (within reason)
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Pics aren't showing up for me (but I am on a corporate network on my phone) and I need to rig up something to view the levels as well but I would prefer not to drill and tap my float bowls. There's not much "meat" there to re-tap and knowing my luck this week, I'd tap them at an angle or pooch the threads and need a new bowl.

I just posted in a separate thread about the clear tubing method where some people will drill out spare 6mm .8 pitch bolts and attach clear tubing to but I am having trouble finding the .8 pitch bolts. 1, or even .75 are available locally and I'm thinking .75 may just be rounded up to .8 but I don't want to thread them in to find I've now cross threaded my drains!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

the thread in the drain screw is M6 x 0.75
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Once again, I like it. Have got to find myself a lathe soon.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I think it's a great idea and have always wished Mikuni/Suzuki had put proper drain valves in their bowls from the get-go.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I think it's a great idea. I hate the current OEM method. But, If you'regonna have to go through the trouble of drilling and tapping the bowls, then you could just use brake bleed nipples no?
            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
              I think it's a great idea. I hate the current OEM method. But, If you'regonna have to go through the trouble of drilling and tapping the bowls, then you could just use brake bleed nipples no?
              you can use normal brake bleed nipples, i just didn't have any M6 lying about so i made one. You need the adapter so there is a seat for the nipple to close against.
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

no

the brake bleed nipple has to be seated, that is how it gets closed so it don't leak the fluid, if you just cut a thread so it fits into the space where the original screw was it will not work

this will help I think

Comment

Ahh, of course!

I think the zerk fitting may be an option then. Just drill out the bottom and remove the ball and spring and presto, no? Zerks are dirt cheap too.
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I use plastic nipples from the hardware store that are just a hair larger then the hole in the bowl on the 34 Cvs. You just screw it in & it makes its own threads on the plastic. They don't leak and I just use them once to set the float level with a piece of clear plastic hose on the ends. They cost about 35 cents each

Comment

Oh, good idea man. Can you post a pic of them or a link to what they look like.
                      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Oh, good idea man. Can you post a pic of them or a link to what they look like.
                        Good idea indeed, thanks. Pics would be nice for sure too - and any chance you went to a standard big box store like Lowes or Home Depot? I have BS32's but the concept is the same.

Was thinking I might try to re-thread some Zerks as suggested above if I can't go the plastic nipple route.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Version 2

ok, have developed it into a much more compact, less fussy design. Still requires the float bowls to be drilled but i think this looks a lot better now.....

Last edited by Agemax; 06-09-2014, 09:41 AM. Reason: extra pic added
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

I have been looking for the thread with something like these actually in use.
                            I know I have seen it, but cannot now find it.
                            I am trying to find a picture of the hoses routed to add to this thread.
                            No Fuel?

Can anybody help?

Comment

I wish someone would come up with something like this for the bs32's

Comment

Working...
                              X