Intake boot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boot question

Hey guys, I'm new here. I was hoping you could offer me some advice as to where to go from here with my intake boots.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my carbs and I've decided to take the intake boots off for inspection because my '81 GS550L likes to idle significantly higher once warm. I took some pictures because the O-rings look fine, but I am not so sure about the boots. I'm only showing two but they all seem to be in similar condition.

As you may be able to see, the rubber is surprisingly nice, they are not dried out and it's pretty flexible. The O-rings look pretty good as well (Didn't get a picture but they didn't look worn or mangled). I'm worried however, about the brown slop that looks like it was once sealing the boot. Is this a red flag? It's leading me to believe that there was a problem with them in the past and someone decided to take the quick and cheap route of sealing the boots rather than replacing them.

The brown material is rock hard and doesn't seem to be serving much of a purpose anymore. There seems to be a very slight gap in between the rubber and metal at some points, or more like the brown slop and the metal, which worries me. Are these boots leaking? Or do I really not need to worry about them?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2014, 07:06 PM.

The "brown slop" appears to be old, crusty epoxy. Those boots are shot, it's time for new ones.

Brace yourself, they are not real cheap. Probably about $25-30 each.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The "brown slop" appears to be old, crusty epoxy. Those boots are shot, it's time for new ones.

Brace yourself, they are not real cheap. Probably about $25-30 each.

Thanks Steve. I really just wanted confirmation because I didn't want to spend that kind of money without being completely sure I needed to.

Does anyone know the best place to buy these things? My local dealer sells them for $39 each but if I can get them for $25-30 and save a few bucks then I'm all for that.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerM View Post
        Hey guys, I'm new here. I was hoping you could offer me some advice as to where to go from here with my intake boots.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my carbs and I've decided to take the intake boots off for inspection because my '81 GS550L likes to idle significantly higher once warm. I took some pictures because the O-rings look fine, but I am not so sure about the boots. I'm only showing two but they all seem to be in similar condition.

As you may be able to see, the rubber is surprisingly nice, they are not dried out and it's pretty flexible. The O-rings look pretty good as well (Didn't get a picture but they didn't look worn or mangled). I'm worried however, about the brown slop that looks like it was once sealing the boot. Is this a red flag? It's leading me to believe that there was a problem with them in the past and someone decided to take the quick and cheap route of sealing the boots rather than replacing them.

The brown material is rock hard and doesn't seem to be serving much of a purpose anymore. There seems to be a very slight gap in between the rubber and metal at some points, or more like the brown slop and the metal, which worries me. Are these boots leaking? Or do I really not need to worry about them?
        ............ hi buy new boots from Z1 they offer great service and heve always helped me regards oldgrumpy

Comment

Parts Outlaw has them for $27.16.

Click the link, they are parts #18 and 19, you need two of each.

Skip the o-rings. Get them from cycleorings.com, as well as the stainless bolts offered there.

Feel free to see if your local dealer will price-match. If he does, he will still make a little profit, you will get the same price and maybe not have to pay shipping, although you will have to pay sales tax.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys, your help is very much appreciated. This forum seems pretty great already

Comment

Well....let me just say that a better job than that can be done to repair carb boots.
              Here is a set I repaired for "temporary use" although I am still using them. lol
              Don't get me wrong, intake boots (with new o rings and ss allen head screws) are a crucial part of the system.
              With new boots you never have to "wonder" if your idling/running problems are related to that part.
              Get the new ones, you will be a very happy customer.
              Anyways:

It can be done with working results. For how long they will last......nothing close to new.
              Good luck with your new boots. Good choice!

Comment

Working...
              X