help with fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with fuel line

Hey everybody I scored an 81 GS750 a few days ago and it came with the carbueraters off of the bike. I cleaned them up and am ready to put them on the bike but I'm not sure which fuel lines go where from carb to gas tank. Any one able to clear this up for me? Thanks a lot

Originally posted by mrunclegibbons View Post
    Hey everybody I scored an 81 GS750 a few days ago and it came with the carbueraters off of the bike. I cleaned them up and am ready to put them on the bike but I'm not sure which fuel lines go where from carb to gas tank. Any one able to clear this up for me? Thanks a lot
    First, how exactly did you "clean them up"? May as well make sure you do it right before you put them back on, or you will have to do it all over again.

Comment

Main fuel line goes between carbs #2 and #3 into a T fitting from the petcock. The lines between #4 and #3 and between #1 and #2 are breather lines and route up over the primary air box and under the front seat mounts, they need to be in the calm air under the seat. The vacuum line goes on a fitting on the #2 carb (front side on the throat and to the petcock.

Now the carbs how did you "clean" them? If you just sprayed them out with carb cleaner that ain't gonna work. There is a very good tutorial on Basscliff;s website. And, check the rubber carb boots both front and back, they probably need replacing along with new clamps.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to see. So the electrical wire on my tank is just a fuel gauge? Good to know

Comment

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to see. So the electrical wire on my tank is just a fuel gauge?
            We won't confirm that until you tell us how you "cleaned the carbs".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's no lie. I don't know I took them apart cleaned the Jets (made sure there's a little pin hole in them. I just basically cleaned every part on the inside and everything seems to be working real smooth

Comment

Have you adjust the valves yet?

For future reference, this is how you clean the carbs: Carb Rebuild Tutorial.

Go to the GS Resource Greetings at the bottom of my Sig and you'll find a lot of reading.
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

So the electrical wire on my tank is just a fuel gauge?
                  Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  We won't confirm that until you tell us how you "cleaned the carbs".
                  That's no lie. I don't know I took them apart cleaned the Jets (made sure there's a little pin hole in them. I just basically cleaned every part on the inside and everything seems to be working real smooth
                  Not the proper way to clean the carbs, but you fulfilled the request.

Yes, the electrical wire is just for the fuel gauge.

Although the jets should get a wire poked through all the holes, I get the impression that you did not strip the carbs down, take all the jets out, ungang the carbs and soak them in carb cleaner dip overnight (or use an ultrasonic cleaner for a while), then spray a bit of carb cleaner through ALL the passages in the carb bodies, followed by some compressed air.

That would have given you the opportunity to also replace all the o-rings to restore full performance in the carbs.

Remember, every shortcut you take is just one more time you will have to remove the carbs.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One more question. The hoses that come off the vent ports.. do they connect to anything or do they just hang down somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                    X