'81 GS250T Carb Parts Compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS250T Carb Parts Compatability

Hey everyone. I already tried searching for an answer to this question but was unable to find a related thread. It seems I get overflowing the memory limit of the forum server so it won't show some queries unless I go really specific, so I'm unsure if I am adequately searching everywhere.

Anyways, I have a 1981 GS250T that I am attempting to get running well again. This was my starter bike a few years ago and even though I have a new ride would like to get the problems with this guy fixed.

I have been working my way through the "top 10 things for newbies" thread so I am in the process of rebuilding my carbs. I got the gasket kit from cycleorgins.com, and also ordered new float bowl gaskets and fuel intake gaskets for the engine since I have the carbs off.

While disassembling the carbs I found that both of the slide diaphragms are damaged and will need replacement (I didn't damage them, they were already damaged). You can imagine how happy I was go to go bikebandit for a part number, only to find that a pair of replacement diaphragms will run me well over $200!

My question is about cross-bike part compatibility. I have been searching for used GS250 slides with intact diaphragms but am not finding anything. I have found parts for other bikes (GS550, GS750) but am unsure if these will be compatible with the Mikuni carbs on the GS250. My understanding is that all the GS series bikes used the same series of Mikuni carbs with minor differences between each bike.

Will it be possible for me to replacement my bad slides with those from a larger engine motorcycle of the same series (GS) and year range?

Thanks in advance!

Mikuni CV carbs were widely used across the GS range. Probably the best way to determine if slides and diaphragms from another model can be used is to look up the part number from the appropriate fiche and cross-reference it to your fiche. Some supplier websites also give the ability to enter a part number and tell you all models that particular part was used on.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Evidently the carbs on the 250 are smaller than the rest of the GS line.

I looked up the part number for the slide (please avoid Bike BANDIT whenever possible) and found that it ONLY fits the 250. The part number for the carburetor only points to the 250. Just to expand the search a bit, the cover over the diaphragm only fits the 250 and 300.

There was a recent post about a repair service that is considerably cheaper.

By the way, Bike BANDIT is surprisingly close on price this time.
      They only want $133.09 for the diaphragm.
      Parts Outlaw offers it for $128.08.
      Just be glad you are not shopping at Alpha Sports, they offer it for $167.62.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X