1983 gs 550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs 550L

i own a 1983 suzuki gs 550L. i bought it recently. it had been sitting for a very long time. i pulled the carbs and cleaned them, i changed the spark plugs, i changed the oil, i rebuilt the petcock. My problem is that now when i start the bike it revs out of control.

Since it's been sitting for a very long time, be happy it starts! go here and start reading.

You likely have a variety of maintenance issues to deal with- don't assume that previous owners have done them.
    A runaway idle might mean an intake air leak- old rubber parts can dry out.And just how did you clean these carbs?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is it reving out of control while witht he clutch fully open. If so this is normal.

If it is idling high then drops only to rise high again with a touch of threttle then its probably a leak in your carb to intake pipe\boot O-Rings

Since you have no problem with stripping down carbs it is a failry straight forward issue to remove these pipes\boots to replace the O-Rings.

Go to cycleorings.com to get cheap quality replacements and while there get a full kits for the carb internals as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        Is it reving out of control while witht he clutch fully open. If so this is normal.
        Huh???????

Comment

I think he meant the choke, not the clutch.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I removed and rebuilt my carbs, on the same bike. My throttle doesn't fully retract now, unless I let it snap closed.

If I let the throttle slowly down, it doesn't fully retract, meaning the bike idles really high.

I'm wondering if we both reassembled the carbs incorrectly?

Comment

Originally posted by jbthomp View Post
              Huh???????
              Sorry meant choke............

Comment

Originally posted by walshja View Post
                I removed and rebuilt my carbs, on the same bike. My throttle doesn't fully retract now, unless I let it snap closed.

If I let the throttle slowly down, it doesn't fully retract, meaning the bike idles really high.

I'm wondering if we both reassembled the carbs incorrectly?
                Your cable is likely hung up in the cavity it occupies in the twist grip.
                I have had this happen once. Had to dsimantle the left grip housing to rectify.

Comment

I'll check that out, but I'm pretty sure I have a different problem. When I release it slowly, and it doesn't fully retract, there is play in the cable. So that is telling me the springs are not retracting with enough force.

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  Your cable is likely hung up in the cavity it occupies in the twist grip.
                  I have had this happen once. Had to dsimantle the left grip housing to rectify.

Comment

Originally posted by walshja View Post
                    I'll check that out, but I'm pretty sure I have a different problem. When I release it slowly, and it doesn't fully retract, there is play in the cable. So that is telling me the springs are not retracting with enough force.
                    Possibly, but it's more likely that the cable needs to be lubed or is binding somewhere.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Check cable attachement at carbs- the carb springs are strong enough (I think they are too strong on mine) to pull cable back onto idle stop screw.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X