Overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overkill?

My GS850G came with a midrange bog. Idled OK, WOT good. But a bog in the middle and surging a bit at cruise. I pulled the thick fiber washers off the top of the needles and swapped them with the thinner metal washer on the underside. It runs great in the middle now, no bog, no hesitation, still idles great. I get a sense that I may have lost a wee bit at WOT, tho. Have I maybe overdone it on one side of the needle or the other? I heard or read that the fiber move was equivalent to two notches on those types of needles. I don't really get concerned over being a tad rich, but lean is always something that scares me.

More details on mods if any would be needed. Are you running an aftermarket exhaust? Are you running pods? What year GS850G?

Add the following into your profile for future reference.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
      My GS850G came with a midrange bog. Idled OK, WOT good. But a bog in the middle and surging a bit at cruise. I pulled the thick fiber washers off the top of the needles and swapped them with the thinner metal washer on the underside. It runs great in the middle now, no bog, no hesitation, still idles great. I get a sense that I may have lost a wee bit at WOT, tho. Have I maybe overdone it on one side of the needle or the other? I heard or read that the fiber move was equivalent to two notches on those types of needles. I don't really get concerned over being a tad rich, but lean is always something that scares me.
      Fixing a midrange bog usually takes a small change. You did a very big change.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's an 81. It has an aftermarket K&N air filter, and otherwise stock except the Dyna S. I may back off the changes a bit, but it's just nitpicking if it runs this good.

Comment

Working...
        X