Crush gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crush gaskets

In replacing the rear tire today on my gs425 I had to take the exhaust system off. I noticed, unlike some previous bikes I've owned, there were no crush gaskets at the exhaust manifold. Instead there are two semi-circular metal pieces that are acting as a seal. Should there be a crush gasket under there that the PO failed to install? I would like to avoid air leaks if possible. Checking the manual there is no mention of any crush gasket as this might've only been utilized on newer bikes. Mine is a 79. Any thoughts?

GSP

Yes, you do have crush washers. The semi-circular metal pieces push on the crush washers. http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

I find it odd you had to remove the exhaust to remove the wheel. Although I've never worked on that bike, and of the bigger GSs I've worked on, (750, 850, and 1100), all have a way to remove the wheel without removing the exhaust.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post

I find it odd you had to remove the exhaust to remove the wheel.
      You have to take the shocks off and raise the swingarm up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They are probably there stuck in the head.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
        X