What should i do first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should i do first?

Hey guys. I have a 1980 GS450l I got running a couple weeks ago but it runs pretty rough. I know you guys dont like hearing the same crap over and over again. I'm mostly just wondering what i should do first. The bike runs pretty rough (high idle, lots of smoke from exhaust, smoke from motor, choke is finicky). Should I start with cleaning carbs? Valves? I think the muffler needs some repair as it is very loud. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Originally posted by kylemanley1 View Post
    Hey guys. I have a 1980 GS450l I got running a couple weeks ago but it runs pretty rough. I know you guys dont like hearing the same crap over and over again. I'm mostly just wondering what i should do first. The bike runs pretty rough (high idle, lots of smoke from exhaust, smoke from motor, choke is finicky). Should I start with cleaning carbs? Valves? I think the muffler needs some repair as it is very loud. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    You have 30+ years of neglect to tend to. Search for a link here to BassCliff's site. I can't think of it at the moment; perhaps someone else can post it. That is an excellent place to start. Be prepared for a lot of reading...

To answer your question, the first step in any tune-up is adjusting your valves.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM.

Comment

First and foremost, make sure the tires aren't too rotted to ride on. Then check your air filter. Many of them deteriorate after 30 years. The result is a starved engine. You can buy new air filter foam on ebay if you can't find the original stock stuff. Purchase the correct carburetor gaskets as well as the cylinder side gaskets/o-rings, then clean the carbs out good and rebuild. This will take a few afternoons if it is your first time. Make sure to clean all the tiny jets and let them soak in carb dip overnight. Do not forget to sync the carbs when you are done. You would be surprised what just this little amount of maintenance will do for an old bike. With a clean filter, rebuilt carbs, and the idle all tuned up you will be able to track down other possible issues. Start here though.

Mine smoked after sitting for 30 years. Many times the valves just need to be reseated and a good, hard ride (an "Italian tune up", after the above maintenance is performed) will solve many of your issues. This is not a replacement for a valve adjustment, and you will need your valves adjusted over the next few weeks, but don't go tearing it down to solve a problem that might be a symptom of sitting for 30+ years. Make sure the oil is fresh, the oil filter is replaced, and the fuel is good. Seafoam does wonders in cleaning out minor buildup in the fuel system and many of the members here will swear by it. The smoke from the motor may very well be gunk burning off after sitting for 30+ years. Are you starting to see a pattern here? Good luck, and welcome to the forums. We are here to help.

GSP
      Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

The guys I bought it from was riding it about a year ago. tires dont look rotten but rear is pretty bald. Oil looks clean but plan to change it and filter anyway. Air filter looked ok but what appeared to be a rubber seal was old and falling apart. from what i read on here people like to replacethem with weather stripping so i will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
          You have 30+ years of neglect to tend to. Search for a link here to BassCliff's site. I can't think of it at the moment; perhaps someone else can post it. That is an excellent place to start. Be prepared for a lot of reading...

To answer your question, the first step in any tune-up is adjusting your valves.
          Ask and you shall receive: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
          Read, heed, and enjoy!

Comment

The guys I bought it from was riding it about a year ago. tires dont look rotten but rear is pretty bald. Oil looks clean but plan to change it and filter anyway. Air filter looked ok but what appeared to be a rubber seal was old and falling apart. from what i read on here people like to replacethem with weather stripping so i will try that.
            Ummmm... In my opinion, you should change the oil and filter before you even dream of starting it. It is cheap insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              Ask and you shall receive: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
              Read, heed, and enjoy!
              Thank you, sir! I saved the link, so I won't have to ask for help.

Comment

Ask for help. These guys here have helped me out of a couple good jams while I was in the garage working on them. Post pictures and ask away. Share any 'discoveries' along the way. If it weren't for this site my old E would have gone to the goodwill.

Comment

The guys I bought it from was riding it about a year ago. tires dont look rotten but rear is pretty bald.
                  I had tires like that. The date code showed they were made in the 80s.

Check the date codes before you ride it any faster than you want to fall off.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I had tires like that. The date code showed they were made in the 80s.

Check the date codes before you ride it any faster than you want to fall off.
                    Agreed. A set of new, cheap tires will only cost you $70 or so and with a tire iron, rim protectors, and a basic socket set you can change both of them yourself in just a few hours. Air leaks (in the air box, rubber boots, or on the cylinder side) will cause you some real havoc. It definitely will need a good carb clean, rebuild, or at the very least a thorough inspection.

EDIT: Also, I've got the same type of bike, and there is limited information on the specifics of the 400's on the forums. If you shoot me a PM, though, I would bet I've encountered the same questions you've had. I don't mind giving back a little. This forum has helped me a lot.

GSP
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

True stories abound...I also did the valve adjustment, dipped my carbs (just got new o rings from cycleorings.com so I will be doing that part again) and recently got new tires on my bike as well, mine were from the 80's too! These bikes go and go for decades with some love.

No mine runs so much better, and I torqued up the steering stem tonight, all in all it feels wayyy safer...

This site ROCKS -> love this:
                      Originally posted by gspower View Post
                      I don't mind giving back a little. This forum has helped me a lot.GSP
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------
                      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

This site is the best owners site I've been on for any of my vehicles. So much info and guys prepared to help. No waiting a week for even one reply. From the info I've gleaned so far. If the bike has been laid up for any length of time then you need to. ...

Check the tank is clean. If it's not get it clean.
                        Make sure the pet cock is working 100% of its not replace NOT rebuild.
                        Check and adjust tappets
                        Change oil and filter
                        Remove carbs. Clean and rebuild. Properly. Don't just stand back and squirt stuff at them. Bench synch them then vacuum synch them when fitted. Oh and make sure the inlet system is air tight, air box inlet rubbers etc.

If that is all done should run sweet. Probably.

Comment

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate all of your responses. Plan on pulling the carbs off tonight. Will be a first time for me

Comment

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate all of your responses. Plan on pulling the carbs off tonight. Will be a first time for me
                            You will find the floats are metallic, and probably dirty looking. You will want to dip them in carb cleaner. Do not make my mistake. The carb cleaner will ruin your old seals and cause the floats to start taking on water. Replacement floats will cost you over 60 USD. When you check and adjust float height, there is no adjustment screw. You will have to literally bend them within spec at the crease on the tab. Keep us updated.

GSP

Comment

Metalic floats? That's new.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X