Any ideas how the Exhaust Gaskets install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas how the Exhaust Gaskets install

I have leaks on my pipes, so I think the gaskets are gone...where exactly do the sit on the block/pipe? Anyone have any images?

easy way is to dab a bit of grease on each one, put them on the exhaust port on the engine, and then put your pipes on and tighten it up....after a good run and when things get hot you will see smoke but that will burn off, once things cool off you can check the bolts and tighten a bit if necessary....

the grease hold the gaskets in place while you put the pipes on....you can run some all the way around on the one side and they shouldn't fall out, well most times they don't.....

Comment

Quite often, it's hard to see the old gaskets at all, and more than one GS-er has installed new gaskets on top of old ones, to much consternation.

Get a good light and shine it up in there, and dig the old ones out with a small sharpish screwdriver.

To install the new ones, simply squash them very slightly into ovals with your palm, just enough that you can slide them into the exhaust ports and they'll contact the sides of the port and stay in place.

There are also gasket "sleeves" where the exhaust system clamps together under the engine. These are known to leak when damaged. They're a bit spendy, but if you need them, cough up the bucks and order up a set from Suzuki.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Once you are absolutely sure the old gaskets are removed (a small 90 degree pick works nicely), if you are using an aftermarket pipe, you might want to use two of the gasket rings. if the exhaust flanges don't sit exactly parallel to the machining in the head, there is not enough compression in one gasket to seal the flange when one lip bottoms out. I have to use two on my V&H 4-1 exhaust system. http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...em=KL16-5974-1
        Last edited by OldVet66; 06-17-2014, 08:24 PM.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If they are the right ones they should just sit in the head while you get the headers lined up. Sometimes theres a loose one and I use a strip of masking tape just wide enough to cover the edge and then stick it in. Just barely smokes when it burns off and for sure wont make a grease streak if the grease runs past the ends of the pipes.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X