Another carb sync thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another carb sync thread

Alright guys, in the near future I plan on having the carbs synced on my bike. Im not sure if I would rather have a shop do it or if I should do it myself. I have a real good local shop that I did my research into. They only charge 75.00 and they have real good customer feed back. Now im not sure if 75 is a good price or not.

Now ive done some research on carb synch and im not quite sure I understand everything. Ive looked for vacuum ports on the carbs and Ive looked on the intake as well and I cant find any place where I might be able to hook up a vacuum line.

Also I was looking at Z1 enterprises website, and they have a 5mm adapter kit that screws into a vacuum port that I cant seem to find.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

Take your $75 and put it towards a Morgan Carb tune, it costs a little more than that but it's worth it. Pretty easy stuff once you get the hang of it. You can do a much better job, because you care about it and they are just on the clock. It's one place where TLC pays off. They run Sooooooo smooooooth when synched up right.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

+1 on the Morgan Carbtune and DIY. The hardest part of the job is buying the tools, which is a one-off expense.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by kdupont View Post
        Also I was looking at Z1 enterprises website, and they have a 5mm adapter kit that screws into a vacuum port that I cant seem to find.

The MotionPro mercury manometer I bought some years ago had the adapters I needed for my 850. I wouldn't recommend the mercury version I don't think though; the rubber cap on the reservoir doesn't fit real well for one. It worked well when I used it recently though; easy to read.

Comment

Originally posted by kdupont View Post
          Alright guys, in the near future I plan on having the carbs synced on my bike. Im not sure if I would rather have a shop do it or if I should do it myself. I have a real good local shop that I did my research into. They only charge 75.00 and they have real good customer feed back. Now im not sure if 75 is a good price or not.

Now ive done some research on carb synch and im not quite sure I understand everything. Ive looked for vacuum ports on the carbs and Ive looked on the intake as well and I cant find any place where I might be able to hook up a vacuum line.

On the rubber intake between the cylinder head and carburettor there is a small allen head screw that you remove to screw the vacuum adaptor into.
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
            The MotionPro mercury manometer I bought some years ago had the adapters I needed for my 850. I wouldn't recommend the mercury version I don't think though; the rubber cap on the reservoir doesn't fit real well for one. It worked well when I used it recently though; easy to read.
            They don't sell mercury manometers anymore FWIW

Comment

Are you guys talking about a colortune? I saw a device somewhere that changes color depending on your mixture. Im planning on adjusting the mixture in the near future.

Comment

carbtune and colortune can be purchased here and you can read all about them...

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

Comment

Carbtune and colortune are two different products sold by the same company.

For what it's worth, I've read that the colortune doesn't work well for bikes with CV carbs like yours.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

the only screws on the rubber intake boots are the two screws securing the boot to the engine. But I looked into the threaded bolt holes and saw that there was no bottom, so are these where I hook up my vacuum gauges?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                      They don't sell mercury manometers anymore FWIW
                      Ah, I didn't know that. I highly recommend one then .

Comment

I have a set of mercury sticks to sell to anyone in Colorado.
                        Can't ship them without dumping the mercury out first.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                        X