Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

%Pilot jet use at cruise

Hi,
    I have 1 cylinder that is fouling/missing on my GS850L. My uncle did a quick strip and dip, but honestly it is as if he never touched it.
    Anyways I was wondering when a GS850L is in 5th @ 55mph is the pilot jet just a small portion of the fuel being used or a much higher percentage than full throttle?

Thank you
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2014, 11:24 AM.

It is the throttle opening that determines what circuit you are on. How much is your throttle open? When I was jetting my 1100E I put tape on the throttle housing and marked the throttle travel in increments of 1/8 of full travel. Then I could look and see if I was at 1/8, 1/4, or whatever and could tell which circuit I was running on.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Hi,
      I went for several rides today. Each one I was well within 1/4 throttle more like 1/8th. There seems to be one cylinder that gets a black sooty coat no matter where I have the mixture screw. The other 3 are ~ 3 1/2 turns from bottom. Each ride I took I lowered the rich looking cylinder mixture screw. Even at 1/2 turn the plug is still getting that flat black sooty look all over. The missing did seem to get worse as I lowered the a/f screw.
      Can a plug appear to be "rich" from not firing all the time due to electrical problems? Or perhaps it is rich as the plug color suggests...?

Comment

Pull the carbs and do a full proper dip/sonic clean with new o-rings. A 'quick strip and dip' will not cut it on these old Suzuki's. I just fired my 850 up for the first time tonight in who knows how many years and all it took was 2 hours per carb in a sonic cleaner with new o-rings and resealing the airbox (which you may want to look into as well). Also plug color doesn't mean diddly unless you are doing a chop at different throttle openings. Just looking at them after a ride tells you nothing.

Comment

I am assuming there shouldn't be gas in the vacuum line to the gas tank...?

Comment

Nope .
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If the diaphragm had a small leak, could the gas leak into the vacuum line causing that carb to be rich?

Comment

Yep .
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks folks for the ideas. The petcock was leaking gas into the vacuum line causing massive plug fouling. I simply plugged the line and ran the valve on prime. Now the bike runs smoothly at any throttle position. Ordered a new petcock also.

Cheers!
                  Andy:
                  Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                  X