Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000g uk carb specs

Hi Folks
    I have just purchased an American import 1980 Suzuki gs1000g that has come from Colorado over to the uk.
    The carbs are running massively over rich, a 15 mile ride will completely coke them up, the previous owner of the bike lived 12000 ft above sea level, so I would imagine this will have an effect on the running due to the carb specs needed !

Does any body have any info on the correct uk set up for these carbs...ie
    1. float hight level
    2. main jet size
    3. pilot jet size
    4. air screw and mixture settings

cheers
    Andy

Hi Andy, you'll find the full spec here:

79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hi thanks for that I have found the American spec...where they the same

Comment

Yes they are the same.

If the PO had jetted for high altitude you should be running weak.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Yes they are the same.

If the PO had jetted for high altitude you should be running weak.
          Not really. The CV carbs are elevation compensating, stock jetting runs fine up to 14,000' which is the highest road around here if the airbox and exhaust are stock. It will of course be down on power but it will run correctly other than that.

Pilot circuits are not compensated, so the idle will need to be adjusted. If they were set for Colorado they would need to be adjusted to run at lower elevation, usually just the mixture screw.

Of course the PO could have dicked it all up, that's been known to happen.

If the airbox and exhaust have been modified it could go either way.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't forget the possibility that the engine has not had the proper maintenance done and may be in need of some work as well. Valves adjusted, carbs rebuilt, fluids changed and such should all be performed on any new acquisition.

Welcome to the GSR and good luck with your new bike. Go here for a ton of information and a warm welcome: GS Resource Greetings
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Hi
              Thanks for all the help, the bike is running a stock airbox and exhausts so I can only assume that someone in the past has altered the carb settings at some point.

cheers
              andy

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                Don't forget the possibility that the engine has not had the proper maintenance done and may be in need of some work as well. Valves adjusted, carbs rebuilt, fluids changed and such should all be performed on any new acquisition.

Welcome to the GSR and good luck with your new bike. Go here for a ton of information and a warm welcome: GS Resource Greetings
                Hi

the engine is extremely healthy, very sweet and the bike appears to have been very well looked after...I will post some pics !
                Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

pic

the soot master

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Not really. The CV carbs are elevation compensating, stock jetting runs fine up to 14,000' which is the highest road around here if the airbox and exhaust are stock. It will of course be down on power but it will run correctly other than that.

Pilot circuits are not compensated, so the idle will need to be adjusted. If they were set for Colorado they would need to be adjusted to run at lower elevation, usually just the mixture screw.

Of course the PO could have dicked it all up, that's been known to happen.

If the airbox and exhaust have been modified it could go either way.
                    Thanks for that, I will investigate the mixture which i expect will sort it. !

Comment

Originally posted by sootyplugs View Post
                      Hi

the engine is extremely healthy, very sweet and the bike appears to have been very well looked after...I will post some pics !
                      I wouldn't assume anything that a previous owner has done. The valve adjustments are the most under done service required by these bikes and is probably one of the most critical "routine" adjustments for performance and longevity. At least check to make sure they're in spec.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I will check them out asap

Comment

Working...
                        X