Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boots - what a difference!

1981 GS650GL, stock

I recently restored my bike and thought I could re-use the carb boots. They are pliable and in decent shape. The o-rings were crap so I did replace them. However, no matter what I did I was having problems with a hanging, unpredictable idle which made me think vacuum leak. The air box boots are really soft and in great shape, so I didn't think the vacuum problem was there. So I bit the bullet and bought new carb boots and clamps. My old ones are pliable, but nothing like the new ones, and the old clamps are stretched to the limit. I installed them last Friday, re-synced the carbs and adjusted the mixture screws with the Morgan Colortune (very cool tool BTW). The bike is now running so much better. No more hanging idle and it sounds and feels great. And as a bonus my mileage went from 32 to 42mpg.

So if you think your 33 year old intake boots are okay, even if they seem soft and pliable, they most likely are not. Buy new ones and you'll be good for another 30 years.

Cheers, and Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canucks!
    K

New boots are a wonderful thing! I've often thought Suzuki should have stamped an expiration date on them.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
      New boots are a wonderful thing! I've often thought Suzuki should have stamped an expiration date on them.
      Haha nice one... After reading about a disputed sale over some "good looking' carb boots that ended up being said to be bad according to the hostile buyer, I coughed up $32 a piece plus o-rings for a set to go on my 77 GS750... Despite having another good looking set from a spare engine. I never could get a good idle on my bike, and it would idle so much better when warmed up for 10 minutes (still not great though). After having cleaned the carbs out 5 times in a week in the berryman's and ultrasonic with simple green AND aerosol spray, it still woudln't idle perfectly. After sitting for 5 months, even worse. Cleaned carbs again, slightly better, but still not great. Boots showed a few signs of deterioration, but overall looking fairly decent... I will see how it goes with a new pair - hopefully in time for the GS rally in west virginia!
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
      X