Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Carburation

Hi,

my gs100gk 1982, presents some dificulties to start, i have to accelrate it for 5 min more or less, when it is cold...

and more the bike became hot, the ralentí is getting higher, like it is accelerate alone (itself)...

i really dont understand.... i have the original bs34ss carbs... but no air filter...

i hope someone could help me, tks

You probably have a vacuum leak. The most likely culprit is the O rings behind the carb mounts. Start it and spray some wd40 around the base of the boots and see if that makes a difference, a leak in the boots that is shot with wd will rise the engine's rpm.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Not having a air filter will cause your problems.
      Are you running pods?
      That will cause the same problem, but can be adjusted.
      If you have the original airbox (attached to carbs) and filter box, buy a air filter.
      If not you will continue to have problems and running like that will eventually cause more and expensive problems.

You will find many people with the same questions asked on this forum.
      As you see we like to help.

Here is a link from a members site.
      Welcome to BikeCliff's Website

It will help you to become familiar with this site to maintain your bike.
      The carb cleaning link and the valve adjustments pdf here would be top of the list to read.
      Another link to pay attention to.
      When you are prepared to do these things or need some more help be sure to ask us all some more questions as many of us look forward to helping where we can.

Comment

Is the air box attached and the filter missing, or is the air box missing and the carburetors open to free air? A little more history on the bike or some pictures would be helpful. Are you using the stock fuel petcock, and is the vacuum line hooked up to the vacuum port? Do you know the history of the carburetors and have they ever been rebuilt? It is common to have to rebuild them and replace the O-rings and often the carburetor boots to the motor have lost their pliability and need to be replaced or at the least replace their O-rings. Have the valves been adjusted? The more information you can give, the better information you will get. Welcome to the forum!
        Last edited by OldVet66; 07-01-2014, 09:04 PM.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Tks to all of you for help

i have pods but i think i will have to rebuild the carbs they sems to be a little old
          i already clean them up but a rebuild will be necesary
          and check th vaccum line but what is it???
          And where can i find the kit for rebuilt for a fair price (need to ship to mexico...)
          Or maybe try to find better carbs and change?

Tks again friends

Comment

Dorry i forgot

i just bought a air filter and box from a gs 850 so i will put it...

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur View Post
              Dorry i forgot

i just bought a air filter and box from a gs 850 so i will put it...
              If it fits that's a good idea

You need to go to the website and go thru the carb cleaning tutorial and the top 10 Newbie mistakes.

Once you've done all the maintenance, you have a base line to work from
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You won't need a carburetor kit. You will need O-rings and gaskets and a lot of reading about how to properly rebuild them.(http://www.cycleorings.com/) (http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=KL18-2612). The vacuum port on the carburetors opens the fuel tank petcock valve for gas flow.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

tks to all i going to work on this

i will advise u all

seriously i appreciate the time and the help u provide, that amazing people like u all!

Comment

sorry i forgot a question

what size of jets do u recommend for this (amazing) bike (GS1100GK 1982 - mikuni BS34 carbs)?

tks

Comment

Hey arthur.

The carb spec sheet is floating around on bikecliffs site id start with those.

Ive been working on my gs's for about 5years and i still go to that site first. cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X