factory in for air screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

factory in for air screw?

Putting carbs back together on my 80 gs450l and can't seem to indicate what the setting on the air screw should be

I assume the "air screw" is the mixture screw? There's so many names for that thing...

Typically, the setting is all the way in, then out two to three turns. Be very careful with the first part, gently seat it. After that, fine-tune the adjustment using the highest RPM method below.

Comment

Originally posted by kylemanley1 View Post
      Putting carbs back together on my 80 gs450l and can't seem to indicate what the setting on the air screw should be
      Originally posted by srg View Post
      I assume the "air screw" is the mixture screw? There's so many names for that thing...
      You are correct.

The OFFICIAL name for it is simply "Pilot Screw", but I have always called it the "Idle Mixture Adjustment Screw", just to fully identify what it does.

Personally, when I rebuild a set of carbs, I will turn them out three full turns. That gives a slightly-rich mixture (a bit of "choke", if you will) for easier starting. You will still need some "choke" to start the engine. When it is warm enough to run off-"choke", you should warm it up a bit more, then start the fine-tuning process.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X