Switch to Individual Carb Air Filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to Individual Carb Air Filters?

What is needed to switch over to individual carb air filters? Seems like this bike had carb work done and the air box/filter has already been modified for greater air intake (a real rig of a job I might add!).

THanks for the help!

A full rejet and tune. Needles can be adjusted (most) .

Idle circuit "should" be fine. Any exhaust work done to it?

Comment

Originally posted by mret430 View Post
      ?...... Seems like this bike had carb work done and the air box/filter has already been modified for greater air intake (a real rig of a job I might add!).

THanks for the help!
      Any pics? I like to see creativity at work!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

For that bike, all that would have been necessary to greatly amplify air flow would have been to remove the airbox lid and install a K&N oem style filter.

But that was probably too simple to have been considered.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

What is needed to switch over to individual carb air filters?
          The patience of Job, the labors of Sisyphus and a lot of money.

Look for the thread titled, "Switched to Pods, Bike Runs Great Now!"

Just kidding. I'm sure there are people with pods whose bikes run adequately. It's a topic that brings out the worst of us. See? Here I am already.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I tried to switch over and was going to throw all this money at my bike to get pods running well. I eventually decided to go to the stock setup as that seemed easier.

That being said. There are many that know how to do it and can help you. It probably won't be the cheapest option but it'll give you the most power your bike can deliver. RapidRay is one of the best with these things.

Comment

Duct tape is your friend

If your airbox is made of ABS, you can repair it

Pods? Look at the Pods, pipe, panic sticky above
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                The patience of Job, the labors of Sisyphus and a lot of money.

Look for the thread titled, "Switched to Pods, Bike Runs Great Now!"

Just kidding. I'm sure there are people with pods whose bikes run adequately.
                Adequately? My Suzi runs perfectly. But then I paid to have her jetted on a dynamometer.

If you don't have access to one, then yeah, you might need some help from Job.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  Adequately? My Suzi runs perfectly. But then I paid to have her jetted on a dynamometer.

If you don't have access to one, then yeah, you might need some help from Job.
                  you have a st.3 jet kit.
                  they are so simple a caveman can install them.
                  some members here have no clue.

Comment

Many, many people have tuned carbs perfectly without benefit of a dyno. A dyno just simplifies the process, as far as doing plug chops, etc...

Comment

They have already done the work for you. http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3315.pdf
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        you have a st.3 jet kit.
                        they are so simple a caveman can install them.
                        some members here have no clue.
                        A GS caveman

Comment

Air filter Rig Job

Well whoever before me tore out the original air fillter box ran a slinky like duct from the back of the carb airbox with foam rubber wrapped around the end. Thats my air filter.

While the bike does run well overall what's the pro and con of this? I found the more i wrapped the foam rubber filter the bike bogs down at top end of each gear during acceleration. Once loosened up then it's fine.

Advice?

Comment

My advice would be to remove that cobbled up junk and replace it with a proper filtering system.
                            This would be either the original airbox filter system or a set of APE or K&N pods. The original system would not require rejetting from stock, pods will require rejetting.
                            Until you have a proper, professional air filtering system you will not be able to dial in the fuel system to perform properly.

Comment

Well whoever before me tore out the original air fillter box ran a slinky like duct from the back of the carb airbox with foam rubber wrapped around the end. Thats my air filter.

While the bike does run well overall what's the pro and con of this? I found the more i wrapped the foam rubber filter the bike bogs down at top end of each gear during acceleration. Once loosened up then it's fine.

Advice?
                              My advice is to go back into this thread and reread the comments recommending a jet kit and/or returning the bike to stock. Make sure you get proper pods too, made by K&N or APE, if you choose that route. The cheap generic Chinese pods are junk. In the end you are going to have $250+ bucks into the conversion. Finding a good airbox will save you a ton of headaches and money at the same time.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X