Carb re-build woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb re-build woes...

So I've been re-building my carbs, and I have all of them apart and have been dipped/cleaned. Except on my last one, I get to the pilot screw and realize the flat head portion of the top of the screw has been broken, and for half an hour I tried to get it out without breaking it, but alas I had to drill it and use an easy-out to be able to save the threads and carb body. So now I have one ruined pilot jet. I was planning on getting new jets anyways, but I'm not sure what to do. I currently have a pods/4-1 setup, but I just read about how crappy pods are. So now I'm not sure which jet kit to buy, even if I find an airbox for my bike. Help me not be frustrated. Any suggestions? Thanks all.

Is this the pilot jet ( under rubber plug in fuel bowl) or the mixture screw gizmo in "tower" in carb outlet to head ?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This is the pilot jet under the rubber plug next to the main jet. Looks like a .22 LR round

Comment

If you want the best chance at the bike running it's best find an airbox and keep the system stock. If you're going to stick with the Pods no one will be able to help you with jets changes until you tell us EXACTLY what the set up with the bike currently is. Exhaust system, types of pods, engine mods and possibly your elevation. That info will get you a 'ball park' idea of the main jets, pilots jets and needle clip height for the carbs but not exactly. You will need to buy other main jets for sure, maybe another size pilot and likely have to change the needle height a few times before you get everything correct. If you want to avoid all the work and headaches (and it is a lot of work and headaches) get a stock airbox and exhaust and set the carbs up stock. The bike will perform great and you can spend the extra time saved on screwing around riding the bike
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's got a supertrapp exhaust on it, with 4-1 headers. I'd like to keep that exhaust setup if I can and possibly just go to the airbox if I can even find one. The carbs have everything stock except for 130 size main jets, but they aren't DJ. Would the stage 3 dynojet kit still be good with 4-1 exhaust and an airbox? These pods seem to be a trouble maker. Makes me want to buy an all stock bike used from a dealer and save myself the headache of this build, but I really want to get this fixed up, because I'm close.

Comment

Rejetting

I'm currently going through the rejetting process. There is an excellent sticky at the top of the forum showing how much larger you need to go to get in the ballpark. You'll need to make a few wide open, throttle chops to see where you are on the main jets and needle heights. I've had my carbs off 4 times today and I think I'm finally there. Read the pods sticky and don't get too discouraged.
            The secret to success is not knowing when to quit.
            Good luck
            Rich

Comment

Thanks rich for the encouragement!

Comment

Does anyone have an answer to my pilot jet (under rubber plug next to main jet) question? I'm in search of new one(s) and was wondering if the dynojet stage 3 kit came with this pilot jet I need.

Comment

Don't give up. I can't offer you any how-to tips (I paid someone to jet mine on a dyno), but the difference was noticeable - more top end power. Big difference at 6k rpm.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks Rob. I can't afford that, so I'll be doing it myself. Might be going to stock airbox with my 4-1 exhaust, but I still think I want the stage 3 DJ kit. I just don't know about that pilot jet... It's $4 on eBay OEM.

Comment

Z1 has them and so does Sirius Consolidated out of Canada.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So I got the pilot jet from eBay for $4, so that's done. Now I need to get the dynojet stage 3 kit. Where should I purchase the kit from? Their store, a dealer, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                        X