SuperTrapp Repairs on GS1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuperTrapp Repairs on GS1150

I have a great stainless steel SuperTrapp on my GS1150. I have just taken it off for the first time and it weighs almost nothing. I have 2 concerns:

1. Exhaust retaining plates are bent. I can't get them off to flatten them out.
    2. Underneath pipes have been beached. How do I make them round again.

Also, what should I use to clean these pipes up?

This full resto thread on this bike is shown in my signature.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Just a bump.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

you may need to make a specialized tool or three to restore that pipe. i have similarly flattened pipes on my V&H 4 into 1 and my thought was to weld to a long steel rod an appropriate-sized ball bearing to fit the inside diameter of the pipe and heat the affected area cherry red before driving it in from the open collector end; working about a half inch at a time. stainless may be tougher to do though. all this does not help you with the mashed collector, but you may be able to get in there with something to push it out but you will need to heat it.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Sandblast it.....paint it....ride it.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Sandblast it.....paint it....ride it.
          its a stainless pipe!

Comment

My mild steel Supertrapp headers where similarly mashed.

Got this tool from a member,IIRC TexasGS.

Did a good job getting the dents in the pipe out.Not sure but the SS might be a bit harder to work with.

Comment

That is a good job.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post

Did a good job getting the dents in the pipe out.Not sure but the SS might be a bit harder to work with.
                I had read this is a method of removing dents from musical instruments and it is possible to use/buy different size balls. The metal on Richards pipes is very thin 20ish gauge.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post

Got this tool from a member,IIRC TexasGS.

that is EXACTLY what i had in my head when i posted!

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                    I had read this is a method of removing dents from musical instruments and it is possible to use/buy different size balls. The metal on Richards pipes is very thin 20ish gauge.
                    Yeah it works great on the mild steel version,the thinner SS I'm not so sure I'm not so sure how it would be.
                    I figured you'd seen something like it garagepunkfan which is why I posted.

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/small-t...9550-9156.html I wonder if one could fab up a way to extend one of these to be long enough once you remove the muffler section of that pipe from the collector then just use heat and the expander to form it back to shape without having to custom rig tools or beat the hell out of it etc.

Comment

shadow - thanks for that. I had never heard of such a thing but I have now found them in the UK:

I will try them out.

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

You might have a heck of a time getting those past the welds on the collector,the 1" ball on my tool needed a lot of dremaling of the welds to get it in the pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                            Unless you intend to cut the header pipe off entirely then this is not going to do the job, the denting goes into the bend, the best idea is the ball former and will do the job. you might have to do it a coupl'v three times to work up to the full round size. Its been a while since I've done any tig, I need some practice, bring it round and we'll sort out that crack.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                            X