Exhaust temp ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust temp ??

ok was looking to buy a Infrared Thermometer and Like to know what is the temp ranges of the exhaust on the gs street bike and the drag bike motors , 750cc to 1500cc , at idle and riding at 65, or wide open on the track

Sounds like a nice research project.

Comment

ok so none of you guys have a Infrared Thermometer and have seen what temps the exhaust is ???

Comment

I have one and it varies

Comment

I have an infrared thermometer and I used to point it at the headers on my 850 after coming in from a ride. It was mostly out of curiosity, I have no recollection of the numbers other than hot enough to burn though many layers of skin.

Can't do the same on my 750 as the headers on it are shiny and IR thermometers don't work on shiny things.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
            ok so none of you guys have a Infrared Thermometer and have seen what temps the exhaust is ???
            230ish around spark plug. As others said about variation, 195-230ish on headers, varies a lot

Comment

thank's guys was just curios, to see what kind of temps was going on with this bikes , hoping that a few guys with big drag bike chime in with some temps,

Comment

Would imagine they will vary with bike/setup/season/type of riding.
                I have one.
                I do not use it to see the temp of my exhaust on a daily basis, or weekly, ect, ect.

What I do use it for is when I have problems.
                Troubleshooting.

It lets me know which cylinder the problem is at.
                I know which cylinder from the difference in temp from other header pipes.
                Usually the pipes run real close in temp.
                When bike is acting up and one temp is noticeably different then the others it gives me a better idea of where to start looking.

When just one pipe it is more likely to be a carb or plug wire for that cylinder.
                If not one of those I would want to check my valves on that cylinder next.
                If not there then I will start to save my money.

If two pipes outside of range but close to each other and they are running off the same coil I would check from the coil back.

If two pipes and different coil or different temp range from each other I would again think fuel/carb problem.

Of course the whole time it would probably just be a vacuum leak.

Comment

Working...
                X