Removing air filter box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing air filter box

Took off my carbs today on my 1981 GS450L and decided to buy the K&N air filter pods. I am attempting to remove the old airbox and having a hell of a time. Any tips?

Pull the engine out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok I did that, now what?

Comment

damn your fast!

Comment

On my 450 with the engine out the airbox just comes right out. Maybe the Ls are different.

Comment

It's a matter of twisting, pulling, cursing, etc... It does help if the battery is out, any other bolts and stuff out of the way too.

I swear Suzuki welded the frames around the airbox on these 450's.

Comment

One word: Dremel.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by owenmybro20 View Post
                Took off my carbs today on my 1981 GS450L and decided to buy the K&N air filter pods. I am attempting to remove the old airbox and having a hell of a time. Any tips?
                Pods.. Pods..ooo Good luck with those.. I'm assuming you've read the various 'Pods' threads and are prepared for weeks of mucking about with jetting etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  One word: Dremel.
                  Cutting the frame is so drastic.

Comment

Pods aren't so bad if you've got a good baseline running bike to re-jet from. The airbox comes out easily if you remove the rear wheel and the plastic splash-guard/fender thingy directly in front of the rear wheel. Then slide the airbox straight back.

Comment

On my bike (1982 1100e), it's relatively easy to remove the airbox...if you cut the frame off with a sawzall!
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime View Post
                        Pods.. Pods..ooo Good luck with those.. I'm assuming you've read the various 'Pods' threads and are prepared for weeks of mucking about with jetting etc..
                        Why do people freak out and warn of the impending apocalypse when someone says they are switching to pods? Jetting these bikes is not rocket science, it simply requires a bit of patience and the willingness to spend the time to do it right using a methodical step by step approach.

If anybody thinks jetting a GS for street use is hard they should never try jetting one of the old air cooled 2 stroke race bikes for track use. Now that is fussy work with an extremely small window for success.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Air Box removal

I used a drill and "swiss cheesed" the air box on my gs750e...took me 3 hours...

Having a few cold beers helped the process as well...

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X