Getting the "inner airbox" boot around the carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the "inner airbox" boot around the carb

Just replaced the intake boots, and i was making sure everything was sealed up well and was putting it all back together and noticed that there's another boot type thing that slides around the mouth of the airbox ports that meet the carbs. When I try to put the carb opening in it, they are getting pushed back into the airbox and I can't get a good seal and I've been trying to wiggle them in in various ways for about an hour and can't seem to get it.

Any tips on getting these back in nice and snug?

The bike is a 1981 gs450L.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

They are easier to install if warmed gently in water or with a hair dryer. This makes them more pliable. I also found a very little bit of lubricant helps. Good luck. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
      They are easier to install if warmed gently in water or with a hair dryer. This makes them more pliable. I also found a very little bit of lubricant helps. Good luck. Paul

Are we still talking about motorcycles here?

+1 on warming them up. Not sure on the lubricant thing as I have never tried it.

Comment

Okay thanks I'm going to give that a try. And are they supposed to go around the whole carb intake between the carb and the airbox or just sit and seal the mouth of the carb intake? -- if that makes sense
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
          Are we still talking about motorcycles here?

+1 on warming them up. Not sure on the lubricant thing as I have never tried it.
          LOL- you forgot-
          That's what she said

Comment

Is the retainer boot ring inside? There is a ring that locks the boot down to the air box.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Retainer boot ring? Is it in the airbox? I didn't see anything like that but are you saying that the inner boot thing can be locked in place?
              1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                Retainer boot ring? Is it in the airbox? I didn't see anything like that but are you saying that the inner boot thing can be locked in place?
                Not used in your model/year.
                Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS450L, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Comment

On parts #4 & #5, since there is no lock ring, there should be a lip that locks it into place in the airbox. It should lock in place, or it will just slip back into the airbox when you put pressure on it with the carb intake throat. Until you get it to lock into place, it will be useless to try to install the carbs. You "may" need new parts #4 & #5.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post

Well I'll be darned, guess not, my bad.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well that was one of the most annoying things I've had to do lately!
                      Cleaned out my carbs again and then spent about two hours with my dad trying to get the carb mouths into those airbox boots. Neither was in fantastic shape but we ended up pulling the worse one out of the airbox, fitting it around the carb mouth and then shoving it back in getting a good seal.

Still have the same problem though - the bike started up and idled fine but after about 15 minutes of riding, started sputtering and eventually died. Had to walk it a mile home.

Any advice of where to look next? With the new intake boots and a good seal to the airbox, I wouldn't think whatever air leaks are left, if any, would be bad enough to completely kill the engine after it gets sufficiently warm. The right exhaust is still being loud so maybe that has something to do with it.
                      1977 GS550

Comment

Working...
                      X