GS1000L carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000L carb help

Hi all, I am new to bikes, and I got myself a 1980 Suzuki GS1000L, 19400mi on it. Its all stock, no mods. Cleaned carbs, seems to run well when idling, but when I give it gas it goes to about 4000rpm and dies. I adjusted fuel screws to 1.5 turns, 2 turns, 2.5, 3 turns.... same problem. May it be leaky manifold boots? Any help appreciated, Thanks

Make sure there's fuel flowing to the carbs. It sounds like it's running out of gas. How did you clean the carbs?

Comment

Have you done any research yet?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Carbs are full of gas, it idles good. Soaked all internal parts in carb cleaner for three days. Cleaned all holes in carbs body. it only chokes when I give it gas.

Comment

Got a air filter element in there? Check for leaks from there to carbs inlets- any leaks will cause it to fall flat on its face above 3000 rpm.
          And get some new handlebars- those look painful!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Got a air filter element in there? Check for leaks from there to carbs inlets- any leaks will cause it to fall flat on its face above 3000 rpm.
            Shouldn't bike still run with airbox off? why would it matter if theres a leak in airbox boots?

Comment

No mods... except for the highway bars, hand grips, saddle bags, and luggage rack, right? I'm just joshing you... I have the 850 version of your bike and it's fantastic!

Shouldn't bike still run with airbox off? why would it matter if theres a leak in airbox boots?
              It might idle kinda sorta okay with the airbox off, but it will never run right with the airbox off, unless you do some pretty mean jetting.

These engines are very sensitive to air leaks. So if you have the stock jetting, you have to properly oil your air filter, seal up the airbox, replace the o-rings under the intake manifold boots, and probably buy new intake manifold and airbox boots if the existing ones are the originals.

Your reading assignment starts here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=196338

Welcome!
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X