Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non stock carbs - need help identifying

Hi Guys

I have a GS550LT 1980 US Model, manual says it should have Mikuni BS32SS carbs on it, but the ones on her are Keihin CVK V058 YE20 (thats all the markings i can find on it).

She runs rich, when i am accelerating she kinda makes this gurgling sound, popping when decelerating.

When i bought her donkeys years ago someone had put K&N's on her and then taped them up to retard the amount of airflow going thru them, that then got wet and fell off and she was far too lean, i put stock air box back on and she runs rich, so i am thinking that maybe these carbs are off of something bigger or something that has larger jets, thus the running rich.

Now i don't want to be pulling them apart to have a look at what's in there, with a view to fitting better size jets, without obtaining all the necessary gaskets/o rings etc needed for the rebuild of it, but i cannot seem to find out what carbs they are with the information i got off of them

So yeah just wondering if any of you gurus could shed some light on what they are or what they were off of

thanks

p.s please don't tell me to go out and buy some original carbs, money is tight and i cannot even find any for sale to get an idea of what it would cost but i'm guessing more than i could afford

If you are running rich you could down jet to rectify the situation. Try posting a pic of your carbs and also measure the inner diameter of the carb throat on the engine side. And if you haven't already done so clean the carbs and adjust the valves. Also lots of useful info here.

Comment

"She runs rich, when i am accelerating she kinda makes this gurgling sound, popping when decelerating."

rich and then lean- a combo plate!
      Probably off honda fours- do they fit into carb boots nicely? The Keihin CVs probaly won't be happy with stock suzuki airbox, but that is a wild guess on my part. You need to pull the fuel bowl on one carb and find out the main jet size-this offers clues. I have difficulty navigating honda forums for info, but maybe another member here has the means.

You can make these carbs work here, but it will require effort.
      What does "her donkeys" mean?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When i bought her donkeys years ago

means ALOT of years ago, sorry its a brit expression

To be able to look at the main jet size tho i am going to have to take them apart and i am wary of doing that before i have the replacement gaskets and orings etc here, as she is all the transport i have atm

Comment

deceleration popping could be leaky exhaust.

Comment

If you are able to identify you may find it possible to find a member who will trade for what you need.
            May also try a forum for the type of bike they are off and find a trade or someone willing to buy with a price that would set you with stock carbs for your bike.

Comment

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

I have various Mikuni and Keihin carbs here, but unfortunately not a complete spare set of Mikunis. If you're anywhere close, you'd be welcome to come and tinker.

I've bought spare sets from E-bay for around the £10-20 mark. Add the price of o-rings, plugs and gaskets and you could be looking at as little as £50 for a good reconditioned set. Plus a fair bit of time!
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

I am up in the Midlands, i will keep searching e-bay then atm just trying to make the best of what i got, hopefully soon the eh

Comment

Working...
                X