Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shim clearance, now what...

Hi,
    Checked my valve clearances just a few minutes ago. My smallest feeler is .02mm.
    All of the valves are <.02mm ! 26,600 miles on the engine. Should I assume there is no clearance and go with something that would give me .06mm-.08mm?

Thank you!
    Andy

Assuming you can spin the bucket, then you know you have better than zero - so between zero and .02mm drop 1 shim size.

If you cannot spin the bucket, then you have less than zero - so you might need to drop 2 shim sizes

Comment

I can spin the buckets. A couple were a bit snug but still moved. Thanks Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
        Assuming you can spin the bucket, then you know you have better than zero - so between zero and .02mm drop 1 shim size.

If you cannot spin the bucket, then you have less than zero - so you might need to drop 2 shim sizes
        I used to think that, too.

I got into one engine that I could spin the buckets on, but had to drop THREE sizes to get them in-spec.

Mr.Mom, have you inventoried your shims yet? When you know what all the sizes are, remove your thinnest one, replace it with a quarter. Move that thinest shim around to the other locations to see if you get a better idea on what you need.

Also, I would be remiss to not direct your attention to the invite in my signature.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Aghh 4 of the shims don't have markings anymore...?

Comment

A digital caliper is your best friend in this case.

Comment

According to a digital caliper all of the mystery shims were 2.60. Ok off to order some shims.

Thanks!

Comment

waitaminit...

Are you SURE you're using a metric feeler gauge?

The smallest feeler I've ever seen is .03mm, and it is an extremely fragile, whisper-thin piece of metal. It often sticks to an oil film and gets damaged before you can slide it between a cam lobe and shim. I can't even imagine how you'd work with a .02mm feeler.

A .002 inch feeler gauge would be right at .05mm, and while that's still pretty thin, you can use it normally. It's also in the safe valve clearance range.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Are you SURE you're using a metric feeler gauge?

The smallest feeler I've ever seen is .03mm, and it is an extremely fragile, whisper-thin piece of metal. It often sticks to an oil film and gets damaged before you can slide it between a cam lobe and shim. I can't even imagine how you'd work with a .02mm feeler.

A .002 inch feeler gauge would be right at .05mm, and while that's still pretty thin, you can use it normally. It's also in the safe valve clearance range.
                  I have a set that lowest reading is .02mm fragile yes, but no issue when using to measure valve clearances.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Mom View Post
                    According to a digital caliper all of the mystery shims were 2.60. Ok off to order some shims.

Thanks!
                    What does it say the marked ones were ?
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

marked 2.55(2.53, 2.54) ,2.60, 2.69
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

It doesn't seem right that not even one is in spec with 26K. Don't most of these engines usually start with 2.75 / 80 shims? It almost sounds like the valves have been adjusted before.

Mr. Mom, what is the next increment in your feeler gauges? It should definitely be .03mm if your set has as low as .02 which I've not seen before. If not, then they are probably stuck together and need to be squeezed and slid apart like you were opening a garbage bag or a slowed down version of snapping your fingers.
                        Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

I checked to make sure they were not sticking, checked multiple feelers .02, .03 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
                            It doesn't seem right that not even one is in spec with 26K. Don't most of these engines usually start with 2.75 / 80 shims? It almost sounds like the valves have been adjusted before.

I haven't seen them that small except on old engines, agreed something is fishy.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok Thanks to Ray & the shim club I was able to get my valves back in spec. No one had 245 shims so I used the club. Some of them I dropped two sizes and they were still only .04mm-.05mm clearance! So my exhaust valves are running .08-.09mm and my intakes are .04-.05mm.

Thank you
                              Andy
                              From Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                              X