airbox boots not fitting or wrong size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox boots not fitting or wrong size?

I can't seem to upload a photo but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the airbox screw holes to align after putting in new airbox boots. The rubber seems to be protruding out of the airbox more than before but if just push them in any further they get all messed up. Any ideas?

Help us old folks out here and put your bike/model/ year in your signature- User CP stuff top left on this page. 80 gs 450 ??
    if I can upload photo, anyone can! Easy way is to click on paper click doohickey and select photo from your private file.
    So are these air box boots right and left marked?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes they were marked. I put them in the way the old ones were marked. Got them on and everything back together after cleaning carbs. Started it for the first time today since I cleaned them. Idling around 3-4 on kickstand, then jumps up to about 7 when I center the bike....stumped

Comment

Do you have new handlebars on your bike? The jumping idle on the centrestand sounds like one of two things:

1. turning the handlebars one way or the other puts strain on the throttle cable and pulls the butterflies open, or

2. changing the angle is changing fuel flow.

3. If the period of time between sidestand and centrestand is long enough, and your choke is working properly, what you are describing could just be normal behaviour, although your 3-4000rpm is way too high to start with. Adjust the idle speed.

Did you have the carbs off the bike? It's easy enough to tweak the throttle cable bracket in a way that adds tension.

Is the phenomenom repeatable?
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

No new handlebars. But I did pull the carbs to clean them and this is my first run since putting them back on. I also replaced exhaust gaskets, airbox boots, and intake o rings.

Comment

Clean them by what method?

Is there slack in the throttle cable(s)?

Did you turn the idle screw down?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I broke them down and dipped them in Berrymans carb dip. There isn't much slack in cable but not tension either. Is there two idle screws? One on each carb? I tightens them both down and backed off 1 turn & a half. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kylemanley1 View Post
                I broke them down and dipped them in Berrymans carb dip. There isn't much slack in cable but not tension either. Is there two idle screws? One on each carb? I tightens them both down and backed off 1 turn & a half. Thanks
                Tightened or just barely seated them? Tightening= bad

Comment

Just barely seated then backed off

Comment

I had a similar issue with my throttle. It was the cable, it got hung up somewhere and when i made any movement in the handlebars it would rev up. Still had slack in my grip, but the sleeve had been pinched just right and when pulled; would pull the cable with it.

Comment

Originally posted by kylemanley1 View Post
                      .....Is there two idle screws? One on each carb? I tightens them both down and backed off 1 turn & a half. Thanks
                      Sounds like you're refering to idle/air mixture screws here; but what about the idle stop screw ( item #62 in link), maybe you didn't get it oriented correctly and it's not closing throttle plates enough

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think when I bench synced them I left them too wide. Also there does seem to be some kind of snag on throttle cable because when I turn to the right it revs high. Will try and figure that out and let ya know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X