Carb sync for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
    That makes sense. I did make a pretty stupid mistake and one of the tubings landing on the pipes and melted so I cut that section off, and reattached the restrictor. it shouldn't make a difference that the particular tubing is shorter than the rest should it?
    I did the same thing when hanging the Carbtune off the handlebar. It makes no difference whatsoever.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Steve: I actually do the same as you and sync the carbs at idle. Maybe just a little above like 1500. 1500 turned into 2500 with a little slip of the finger. Sorry for the confusion.
      Last edited by JTGS850GL; 07-21-2014, 04:13 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Ok, so I did the bench sync and they look really close, took the mixture screws all the way out 2.5 turns, and the idle screw 3 turns in after touching the tab. I fired it up and the sync took was almost dead on so I got really excited. Then, as all my recent happy moments was short lived. The idle started going lower and lower and then died. I started it back up and when I pull back the throttle it immediately wants to die. Does it mean I need to tweak the mix screws lower? I tried to turn up the idle knob, but with no effect. I pulled one of the plugs to see if it looks real wet and it looks fine. I feel like I'm real close.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2014, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Can you clarify what you mean by "pull back the throttle"? Do you have the choke engaged at this point?
          '83 GS650G

Comment

Sorry, I mean give it throttle. The choke is not engaged at that point since it ran good for about 3-5 mins. Now it seems like when I give it some gas it bogs down and dies. It was running stead with the choke not engaged and then the idle got lower and lower and then died. Once it seemed like it was going to die I started increasing the idle knob with no help. I do have a golf tee inside the vacuum line attached to the carb. That's ok right?
            Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2014, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
              Sorry, I mean give it throttle. The choke is not engaged at that point since it ran good for about 3-5 mins. Now it seems like when I give it some gas it bogs down and dies. It was running stead with the choke not engaged and then the idle got lower and lower and then died. Once it seemed like it was going to die I started increasing the idle knob with no help. I do have a golf tee inside the vacuum line attached to the carb. That's ok right?
              That's good, as long as you have a secondary fuel source hooked up, or are running on PRIME
              '83 GS650G

Comment

What does pulling on the throttle and bogging it down sound like? I didn't make and changes the the butterflies besides the bench sync and the mix screws areat 2 turns in

Comment

Just a simple silly question that I don't think has been asked yet. Did you put the air box and/or filters back on? CV carbs won't really idle without them.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I've tried with them off and on. If it cools down I have to spray carb spray to get it started so while the pods were off I tried, then with them on. This last time when pulling the throttle and it bogged down the filters were off. Am I an idiot and that was all it was?

Comment

"filters"....you mean you have PODS?? so I take it this is not a 'stock' setup on the bike?
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I have pods, 4-1 pipes with a stage 3 dyno kit so at least based off what I've read that is the correct setup. I realized that with the pods off it would run a little rough, but I wanted to make sure it would run steady for a few minutes and then I would put the pods on and sync. I didn't think it would actually die and then not restart with them off. I will try it again with the pods and cross my fingers that's all it is.

Comment

Just another silly followup question:

What are you using for a fuel source while doing all of this?
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

I have the tank on a stand next to the bike with a clear line to the carbs. The vacuum line from the petcock is loose since I have it plugged at the carbs

Comment

Mind you I haven't read the whole thread, but stock petcocks won't work in the run position without vacuum, right?
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I was told to plug the vacuum line with a golf tee when syncing. I can see gas going into the carbs. Before I start the bike I do suck on the vacuum line to get gas in the bowls first then let it hang loose.

Comment

Working...
                                X