No announcement yet.

Carb sync for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you post a pic of all 4 carbs straight on? Looks like the #2 carb is the one that's not closing in the pic above. Can't see what the state of #1, #4 are.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

So I think I found the main issue I was dealing with and it's another pretty dumb mistake. Not realizing that the throttle cable was tight and slightly pulling on the butterflies is why I could sync them, but it was idling so high. So that gap on carb #1 isn't an issue since I don't need to have them that far closed now after loosening the cable.

UPDATE: SO I was able to drive to work today for the first time since putting the bike together and it ran strong. But, of course I was on the highway doing 55 for about 15 mins and then when I came on the off-ramp for a stop light it died and was very hesitant to start again. Luckily it started and I was able to get to work without having a heart attack! So it seems that when it's sitting still the idle seems perfect, but as I'm riding it if I come to a start the idle is higher than I want it so it seems like there are tweaks still to be made. Currently the mixture screw is 1.5 turns out. Any ideas?

Comment

Try setting the mixture screws at 2.5 turns out as a base setting for tweaking them.

Did you synch the carbs again after loosening the throttle cable?
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Yea, after losening the cable I synced them and they all look great and I was actually able to ride it off and on all day yesterday. It was this morning after getting on the highway for the first time for 15 straight minutes is when it died. I think I'm only 1.5 turns out right now so maybe it's not getting enough fuel then? If I turn it back out to 2 turns, will I need to resync again?

Comment

No, turning the mixture screws does not effect the synch. At 1 1/2 turns it's probably a bit lean, you need to look at your plugs to determine if you are running lean or rich. Being a bit lean will not cause the bike to stall though, but it could be the cause of your bike idling a higher after being warmed up, that or you have a vacuum leak somewhere, intake o-rings, exhaust gaskets, etc... Is your petcock working properly?
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I haven't checked for any leaks vacuum wise, but the petcock is brand-new. Now I do have a Dyno stage III kit with pods and four and one pipes. With the Dyno kit does that normally mean I need more turns out on the mixture screw or less?
              Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2014, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Ok, there is JUST ONE question and answer that hasn't been mentioned, or asked. Did you synch the synch gauge before hooking it up to the cylinders? There should be a small 5 port vaccum "tree" with it. You need to connect all four of the lines from the tool to it, and one to a vaccum source and synch the synch tool. If the levels of the tool are too low or too high to read well, you can adjust them to read as high or low as you wish. Then, and only then will that tool synch your carbs properly. You will have to do that to the tool each time you use it.

Also, 1.5 turns out is not enough. That WILL cause your dying at a stop symptom. Been there done that.

Also, with pods and a pipe, just throwing a stage 3 kit in the carbs doesn't mean it's going to be right, because the "other guys bike ran right like this".
                Like a couple others keep saying, you need to pull your plugs and read them to SEE that it's right. Look up "plug chops" there will be a lot of threads about it.

Good luck, keep us posted...

If you really get bound up and can't get her right, there are MANY of us in your area that may be willing to give you a hand.
                Great gathering of people here, super helpful...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                X