1982 GS550L No Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550L No Start

I have a 1982 GS550L that I installed a dyna S and now I have spark.

I also Rebuilt the carbs, cleaned the carb bodies ect..

Here it is. Good battery turns over good, but won't start. Fuel in the bowls, but not getting to the cylinders.

Plugs are dry, if I spay some starting fluid in the cylinders it will start but then stall.

What can it be? It won't even sputter without starting fluid.

I did check the valves they where all in spec.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2014, 04:36 PM.

So fuel in bowls. Is "choke" fully activated at carbs? Did you bench sync carbs- the throttle plates will appear just about closed resting on idle stop screw -open too much ,the "choke system" can't suck fuel up. Do not supply any throttle at all during cold start.

And double check plug wires are on correct plugs- left coil fires 1 and 4
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How did you "rebuild" the carbs?

Have you adjusted the valves?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got it to start, I had the throttle adjusted open too much. So no vacuum.

I still think I have a vacuum leak, it will idle but has no throttle response, it stalls if I open the throttle at all.

I got a rebuild kit for the carbs, all of my pilot jets where stripped out when I opened the carbs, same with the fuel screws.

Comment

You got stock airbox and filter in front of carbs? These CV's like a bit of intake restriction or they can fall flat as revs climb.
          Did you dip carbs ( after removing the idle/ air mixture screw assemblies) ? If not, your pilot circuits might not be clean enough -little passages that aid in transition as revs climb.
          As Steve said, check/ adjust valve clearances- often overlooked by PO's and their hired help.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well Ihave an air leak at the intake boots, the clamps are not getting tight i can spin the clamps when they are tight. So it looks like I need new clamps.

Comment

Working...
            X