Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS650L Fuel Cock Gasket and Sender Drain Hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650L Fuel Cock Gasket and Sender Drain Hose?

Finally getting to the stage of reinstalling the fuel tank. Tank was dry when I bought the bike and previous owner had indicated an issue with the fuel cock leaking and said that he had replaced the gasket. I had noticed that the fuel cock was damp even just sitting on my shelf, so assumed it was probably no good and bought an OEM replacement along with the gaskets.

With the original fuel cock in place, I put some HEET in the tank to see if any crud would be dissolved. Seemed fairly clean, but what I did find is that the fuel cock leaks badly. Looks like there were no gaskets installed on the screws and that is where most of the leaking is coming from. Oval o-ring seemed pliable. The mounting screws had star lock washers without any gaskets. Should the star washers even be there? See green circles.

My other question is the red circle on the fuel sending unit. Logic dictates that this is a drain in case any fuel leaks past the sending unit, but the service manual/parts fiche does not show the hose or where you would want it to drain to except not on top of the hot engine.

What hose size and where should I route this drain?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Blog of my motorcycle projects - http://twowheeljunkie.wordpress.com/
    1981 Suzuki GS650L - Project Bike - Sold
    2013 Suzuki SFV650 - Sold
    2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring

My petcock has flat washers with a rubberized fabric on one side. They have a name but it escapes me at the moment. And there are no star washers. As for the drain tube - it's about 24" long and goes down behind the airbox and drains out near the center stand cross tube.

Comment

Working...
    X