Carb Sync Adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Sync Adjustments

I will begin carb syncing soon, and have been reading the documents on bassCliff's website. The only thing is, I can't seem to find any good guides about WHERE to adjust all these screws at. Which ones do I adjust, and where are they located? People use different names for them so I get confused. Can anyone offer me any input? My carbs are CV for an '82 GS750E.

The screws on the throttle linkage for #1, #2 and #4. They control how each throttle opens in relation to the next one over.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Seems there is a picture somewhere, but here is one that I have, but it only shows part of the rack.

You should have no problem figuring out the rest.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Okay that makes more sense for sure. Any other tips or pointers when it goes to adjusting? Should the mixture screws all be at 2 1/2 turns from lightly seated? Also, is that the only mixture screw I have to adjust for tuning at idle and other RPM's? Or do I have to open up the carbs and mess with screws in there too?

Comment

Yes on them at 2 1.2 out for a starting point and yes they are the only fuel / air screws you need to turn. Carb 3 is whats called the MASTER carb and doesnt adjust. You set up the gauges and adjust carb 4 to match what carb three is showing, then 1 and 2. Note that as your turning the sync screws that carb 3 WILL in fact change. Make slow adjustments and get all 4 as close to each other as is possible.

Have a few fans in front of the engine while doing it so it cools the engine. Once the carbs are synced youll do the HIGHEST IDLE procedure. Search it.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Is that highest idle procedure in the cv mixture document made by koolaid?

Comment

I havent read Georges document. I was shown how to do it on a running bike long ago. But knowing him, I would say his advice is spot on. I would heed it.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

To be honest that is the procedure. As far as a step by step guide its as close as you can get. Because the system is fully mechanical and there is a wide variance. No two bikes synch at the same points due to riding styles or break in period and general maintenance. take your time and defiantly have fans going! make sure the bike is warmed up and have at it. at first it will be frustrating cause you will have it so close and you make a small adjustment and everything goes off. but when you have it right you will have a pint and pat yourself on the back with a smile.

Comment

Working...
                X