Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle adjustment troubles

Hoping for some help from the pros!
    I've tried to follow the tutorials, and koolaid kids' write up on adjusting my fuel air mixture at idle.
    I have a slight slow to return to idle speed condition or hanging idle. I have it set at about 1200 rpms. No matter my pilot screw adjustment, if I blip the throttle, it will invariably settle back at 2000. I'm now at more than 4 turns out on the screws, and nothing's changing. At that setting, my eyes are burning! That's rich by my learnin'! Yet the symptoms still indicate lean???
    I am running pods, and have rejetted the main. I don't want to change the pilot jet yet, as I don't think I'm lean.

Any ideas?

Have you checked/replaced the o-rings in the intake boots?

Even with pipe and pods, you will not have to change the pilot jet away from stock size.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Have you checked/replaced the o-rings in the intake boots?

Even with pipe and pods, you will not have to change the pilot jet away from stock size.

Yes Sir! New O-rings in the intake boots and the carbs. Cleaned and rebuilt. Sorry, should have included that!

Comment

Your sync adjustment or the throttle cable can both hold the throttle open.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
          Your sync adjustment or the throttle cable can both hold the throttle open.
          Hmmm ok here's the new question then- am I supposed to sync before or after this step? I thought it was supposed to be done after so that all variables were eliminated. Maybe I should sync first?

Comment

I think lemonshindig means checking your actual throttle cable to make sure it's not hanging up and sticking, causing it to not "snap" back and return correctly. If it's sticky it could cause it to slowly return instead of snapping back, and produce the symptom you are describing. I would check the cable and adjust/lube it if necessary, then do the sync.

Comment

Thanks!
              Ya, everything is brand new, adjusted, lubed, etc. I fought with it for a while, but with the new cable and throttle handle, it's all buttery smooth.

Comment

Hi MatBirch, I have a 1982 GS550l that is doing the same thing. Did the new cable fix the problem? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by schankes View Post
                  Hi MatBirch, I have a 1982 GS550l that is doing the same thing. Did the new cable fix the problem? Thanks!
                  The cable didn't fix it, but did help eliminate some variables. At this time, I just have it all returned to the air screws all at 2-1/2 turns, and then synced the carbs as best I could. Gonna ride it for a few miles and try again.

Comment

Do you have the bars turned when checking for idle return? I adjusted my cable too much at the grip and when the bars were turned to the right it would make the idle jump up until I put the bars either back to straight or to the left. That was like a 2 second fix at the throttle grip. Just something to think about

Comment

Thanks, but nope, dead straight, locked in the chock on my work table...

Comment

Originally posted by MatBirch View Post
                        ...- am I supposed to sync before or after this step? I thought it was supposed to be done after so that all variables were eliminated. Maybe I should sync first?
                        Actually, a carb sync is one of the variables that needs to be eliminated.

Until you are SURE that all the carbs are opening (and closing) at the same time ("synchronized"), there is the possibility that one of them is open a bit farther than the others, and is feeding more than it should. That will cause a slow return

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X