Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

proper AFR's and carb tuning on new big bore GS750 920cc build???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper AFR's and carb tuning on new big bore GS750 920cc build???

I just got my new long anticipated engine built finally - GS750 bottom with GS850 69mm cylinders bored out to 72mm for a 920cc 10:1 MTC Engineering piston'd build, with a Serdi radiused seat cut performance valve job, those long duration GS750 cams, Vance and Hines exhaust, and the large dual oval open element K&N RC-2222 air filters. VM26 carbs.

I figured my ideal jetting might step down a slight bit from the GS850 piston setup with the old head. I went on the slightly rich side of things as far as speculation before new build's first run. 115 mains, 5DL35 needles in middle (3rd) slot (GS550 needles, basically identical to the thin taper 5DL36's on the VM26 GS1000 and GS850), 17.5 pilots, fuel screws just under 1 turn out, floats at 24mm (78-79 GS VM26 spec). Stock 77 GS750 needle jets (o-6? they aren't marked), 1.5mm cutaway slides.
    Attempted a break in run, but the bike ran like $#*!, and only at 6000+rpm WOT did it take off really really fast, but still sounded grossly rich. Oil leaking due to lack of a plug in my starter's hole (kicker only, love the weight savings!), went home.
    I installed an AEM wideband o2 gauge and sensor in my 4-1 midpipe, did a quick run around the neighborhood, and the gauge that reads no lower than 10:1 was reading from there to about 10.9:1 at best, all throttle positions. Only hit the 11's and 12's on mid to higher rpm close throttle decel.

Fast forward to today. Finally reinstalled the carbs, 26mm float height ('77-only spec +/-1mm), 110 mains, 5DL35 needles in 2nd notch, 15 pilots, 7/8 out on the pilot fuel screws, about 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 on the air screws (didn't really mess with them much, worried about idling too long and missing my fresh hone's ring break in potential). Rideability is DRASTICALLY IMPROVED, thank goodness. Still idling funny, around 11:1-ish, jumps around some. Midrange throttle at mid rpm still is very rich but better , it accelerates good but in most scenarios was 10:1 to 11:1 AFR. higher rpm's it was in the high 11's and hit over twelve revving pretty high.
    Mains are at 12.4:1 only at WOT around 8000rpm and up, and I was afraid to take the fresh engine much higher than that, and with that insane acceleration in 3rd or 4th at that range, it is honestly not too safe to look down at the gauge mounted above my steering stem bolt...

So I just picked up some 107.5 mains, and I am thinking that is going to be the ticket for the time being, maybe recheck AFR's after the rings get better seated in and consider a 105. On idle I thought I was looking for 10:1 or 11:1, but not really sure now. Bench synched, new o-rings, intake boots, fresh valve job, no vac synch yet though. before fully warmed up and riding for 10 minutes, the idle would jump up to 2000 at times, but other times it was 900-ish and not sounding great. Definitely not tuned well, and I think maybe the low throttle cruising is so darn rich that it is fouling the plugs a good bit and causing the lower idle, and occasionally the plugs get hot enough at WOT to burn off the sooting, and the idle jumps up. Just my theory.

I have a big stumble from very slight throttle opening to rolling on about 1/8 to 3/16 throttle.

I would not have thought that I would need my needles in the top clip slot, but who knows. Maybe a smaller main will change things, maybe a 105 main is really in order, but I doubt that will affect things that much down low. I am thinking I either need the top slot for the lowest needle height, or swap back to the stock GS750 5F21 (much thicker near the end) needles. I am not sure that thicker needles or lowering them more will really affect 1/8 to 1/4 throttle as much as it is seeming to need affected.

Any help on what AFR's I need down low?
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

I was under the understanding that I was looking for 12.8-13.2 AFR's on the mains at WOT 6000-9000+ rpm's, pretty similar in the midrange throttle opening at 4000 and up, leaner like 13.6-ish for "pilot cruising" (1/8th throttle?), and much richer at idle (10:1? help me here). Not sure how I can arrive at an idle that is a much richer figure, and then instantly transition to a 13's number on the AFR at 1/8th to 3/16th throttle.

I was concerned slightly that maybe I needed the o-4 or 0-2 needle jets, as they are listed as leaner on the mikuni charts. I have bought two sets of o-4's online without seeing pictures, and both ended up being a totally different style, need to just get the darn things from the Suzuki GS1000 parts fiches and through Suzuki to get the right style I guess. I am unsure of what mine came with, some GS750's had the P-4 I think, some had the O-6, and all the ones with the 5DL36 needles had the o-6. Will the needle jet really affect things THIS MUCH that I am at a 10 or 11 afr on the second slot????

A GSR member named Ian is the only person with a similar build, with a JE piston'd 893cc 10.5:1 GS850 with an airbox and k&n ended up with 105 mains, 5DL36 2.5 slot and maybe o-4 or o-6 needle jets, 15 pilots 7/8 turn out. He runs with an airbox, slightly more compression ratio, GS1000 cams (less duration/overlap), but slightly less cc's. Same head and carbs. 13.2-ish AFR on the mains I think he said.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 07-29-2014, 08:34 PM.
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

If you look for threads started by me under "AFR Info" you will find a lot of info I consolidated.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
        I was under the understanding that I was looking for 12.8-13.2 AFR's on the mains at WOT 6000-9000+ rpm's, pretty similar in the midrange throttle opening at 4000 and up, leaner like 13.6-ish for "pilot cruising" (1/8th throttle?), and much richer at idle (10:1? help me here). Not sure how I can arrive at an idle that is a much richer figure, and then instantly transition to a 13's number on the AFR at 1/8th to 3/16th throttle.

I was concerned slightly that maybe I needed the o-4 or 0-2 needle jets, as they are listed as leaner on the mikuni charts. I have bought two sets of o-4's online without seeing pictures, and both ended up being a totally different style, need to just get the darn things from the Suzuki GS1000 parts fiches and through Suzuki to get the right style I guess. I am unsure of what mine came with, some GS750's had the P-4 I think, some had the O-6, and all the ones with the 5DL36 needles had the o-6. Will the needle jet really affect things THIS MUCH that I am at a 10 or 11 afr on the second slot????

A GSR member named Ian is the only person with a similar build, with a JE piston'd 893cc 10.5:1 GS850 with an airbox and k&n ended up with 105 mains, 5DL36 2.5 slot and maybe o-4 or o-6 needle jets, 15 pilots 7/8 turn out. He runs with an airbox, slightly more compression ratio, GS1000 cams (less duration/overlap), but slightly less cc's. Same head and carbs. 13.2-ish AFR on the mains I think he said.
        Just adding a correction. I don't run a K & N filter in my airbox. It is a custom low density foam filter. The box is stock apart from a reed valve allowing extra air in at higher rpms.

To solve the over rich condition at idle and poor transition onto the needle, you need to positively identify what size needle jets you are running. Just changing up or down one size can have a big influence on your AFR's at idle and during transitions on the needle.

Mikuni list the needle jet range for the VM26SS carbs as N-O through Q-8. N-0 measures 2.550 mm and Q-8 at 2.740. This is a 0.190 mm (0.008") difference in bore sizes across the range.

It's difficult to establish the sizes of VM26 needle jets, as they aren't marked with any ID. They are series 182 ("B" type) jets with bleed holes acting as emulsion tubes. I run the stock 0-6 jets with stock 5DL36 needles. I was able to confirm their size after measuring and comparing them against a set of series 261 0-6 jets from my VM29 Smoothbores. These jets had the numbers stamped on them.

I experimented with 0-4 needle jets, but found they caused a leanness when transitioning that wasn't easily corrected through pilot jet/needle position adjustments. The difference between 0-4 and 0-6 jets is a mere 0.010 mm in bore diameter.

Not sure what my AFR's are at idle now, but it is slightly richer than ideal. There is a dark grey soot left on the plug ring. I don't believe that these slide carbs will transition properly without a slight richness at idle.

I've changed from 98 to 91 Ron fuel since dyno testing was done. Also retarded the spark by 2 deg to improve torque from 3000 - 9500 rpm. AFR's will have changed from testing too. I will re-test this, when I take the 1023cc BB for its dyno session during our summer.

Stock 850 VM26SS carbs should work well on your set up too. Your V&H 4-1 may cause different scavenging pulses than my pipe does. That's one of the many variables that may affect your fine tuning.

Good luck.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

How far up into the throttle opening does the pilot fuel screw affect? just a little more beyond 1/8th throttle? I am still quite overly rich beyond that, up to more than 1/4 throttle.

Here, this is one of the charts I remembered seeing, this from Sudco. Most pertinent for my carbs, and one of the only charts I saw that included the needle jet:

Looks like turning the pilot screw in a slight bit will help my situation, but a leaner needle jet is going to be the primary thing that I need to change to get good fuel mileage while cruising at 1/8 - 1/4 throttle on long hauls, and if slightly below half throttle is too lean, raising the needle will fix that.

There is a fair chance that my carbs have the P-1 needle jet, as I have an early # on the carbs despite my original engine showing a 29,xxx serial number ('78). It's either a P-1 or 0-6. It's quite rich in that area, and if I was going for a 12-13+ afr, I am going to need to jump at least one size. I need another set of carbs eventually anyway for my spare parts pile that will turn into a complete GS750 next year, so I thought I would see if I could get some 79 GS850 carbs (US models had the o-4 needle jets) or 78-79 GS1000 carbs (4 out of 5 different carb specs had the o-2 needle jets, 1 had the o-4) and just swap the needle jets. Then I would also probably also benefit by getting a later set of carbs with the spring loaded needle mounts in the slides (more shim-able needles). The idle thumbscrew on my junk 1000 carbs is way more easily accessible, so maybe I'd swap that also or the whole bank of carbs.

The pilot air jet in the 850 and 1000 carbs is a 1.2, vs the 750's at a 1.6. This might be the best move anyway to swap on a set of the 850 or 1000 carb bodies with all my guts except for the needle jets (I don't believe the air jets are removable, correct?). I am not sure how much the pilot air jet will affect things, but if it is smaller, it will presumably lower the amount of air is fed into the pilots, therefore less fuel will get siphoned, leaning things out a slight bit. That could be a big reason why I am way richer than Ian's setup in the lower throttle range. There is a 79 850 engine at the junkyard here, so they may have the carbs off of it as well. It is pretty likely that they would have a set of GS1000 VM26's also, so I think I should try and buy a set of those from them and shelve mine for the future project.

the stock early GS750's thicker & less tapered 5F21 needle is actually skinnier at the lower throttle openings (richer, 2.515mm near top) than the skinny tapered fine pointed 5DL35/36/37/31 (thicker & leaner at top, 2.522mm), so swapping back to the early 750's needle is going to worsen this situation at 1/8-1/4 throttle, but would lean things at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

posplayr, I did find your AFR info thread, and I was reading up on it a bit today on breaks. The AFR's you decided your bike was happiest with were leaner at lower throttle openings and slightly richer at 1/2-WOT than I was expecting, really. Maybe that is just a trait of CV carbs?
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

After consulting the 893cc 10.5:1 builder and posplayr's AFR Info thread, and doing a little more reading on VM carbs, air cooled vs water cooled, etc., I have arrived at these basic benchmarks to shoot for to try out:
            12.5-12.8 @ WOT (peak power range, don't want to go much higher because that will mean more heat buildup at high rpm/high loads)
            12.8-13.2 @ 1/2 - 3/4 throttle for great power, and slightly less worries of heat at less than WOT)
            13.0-13.8 @ 1/4 throttle range trying to get more fuel mileage but may have to richen slightly if I have stumbles
            12.7-ish @ operating temp idle (don't want to have to go below 12.2 as to keep it good for cold weather/high altitude richening up to 1 point richer)

It has been discussed that the VM carbs need to be much richer at idle in order to transition, so this I will find out shortly.

Comments?
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

posplayr, I did find your AFR info thread, and I was reading up on it a bit today on breaks. The AFR's you decided your bike was happiest with were leaner at lower throttle openings and slightly richer at 1/2-WOT than I was expecting, really. Maybe that is just a trait of CV carbs?
              You should not be necessarily looking at the AFR's I ended up with but rather the AFR's described in the general information. My AFR's are based on a best compromise between the various factors I had at play with. One of the biggest ones is a 4:2:1 exhaust. I would not dare try and relate my setup to yours as the WB02 is a much better judge of what you need based on absolute AFR readings.

Comment

Seen this?

nice summary of VM circuit overlap, effect, and throttle position

Comment

Originally posted by btbarb View Post
                  nice summary of VM circuit overlap, effect, and throttle position

Great visual of the overlap of the various influences that affect VM tuning. Easy to see why a small change in any one of them can cause utopia or despair! And changing two, well............
                  :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Yes I had seen that chart, and that was a big help.

Now, everything is too rich, I am in needle clip #2, and trying to tune the mids. I have no idea if my carbs have the P-1 or the o-6 needle jet, but it has one or the other. My 110 mains are one size too big I think, and I definitely can go to a 107.5. 105 may even be possible, and I have a set of those here luckily. My pilot fuel screws are at 7/8 or maybe 15/16 turns out, and I was wanting to go down to 5/8 or 11/16 out. That will help with 3/8 throttle slightly, and lowering the main size will help with 3/4 throttle and a little below that. around 1/2 throttle is all in the needle jet at this point, as I only have 1 slot leaner to go, and dropping the tip of the needle lower is going to lean things more at 3/4 throttle also.

I do have the 5F21, but I was hesitant to try and run those, as that will make it very lean, but I suspect I will need them all the way up in the bottom slot, which will richen both sides of around 3/4 throttle. Ideally I want to have a setup where I am in needle clip 2/3/4, and not on the fringes.

I have the chance to buy some 49000 GS1000 carbs with the 1.2 pilot air jet & 1.5 main air jet, they should have an 0-2 needle jet in them. I do like the idle thumb screw adjustment on that style much better as well. $125 at the local parts warehouse, but I fear that I will be too lean on the needle jet then. There are a set of 79 GS850 carbs on ebay that are in pieces, with all the brass parts in a bag. They are around $178 shipped.

I know that leaning my mains and pilots will help the upper and lower edges of where I am focusing (3/8 to 5/8 throttle), but I am pretty certain the o-4 is what I need. the fact that some 750's, and ALL 850's and 1000's came with the 5DL36 needles, and the Dynojet needles are also much skinnier and more aggressive like those. Seems that is what I need, just with a leaner needle jet.
                    Last edited by Chuck78; 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM.
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Nice! captured this helpful screenshot Motorcyclecarbs.com!

So there are a lot of other in between sizes, but it seems that the increments go:
                      O-2 2.610mm
                      O-4 2.620mm
                      O-6 2.630mm
                      P-1 2.655mm

So on it's own, the P-1 to O-2 is a massive jump. Then I realized that Suzuki changed the carb bodies' main air jets with changing the needle jet, and the P-1 needle jets went in carb bodies with a 1.1mm main air jet, and the o-6 went in carb bodies with a .7mm main air jet... Things are more complicated than they initially seem!

The GS1000 carbs all have a 1.5mm main air jet and either o-4 or mostly o-2 needle jets. I am leaning more towards these now (free breathing 920cc vs stock 1000cc seems close to me), as I can raise the needle more to get it richer, and I think the smaller pilot air jet will also really help my low throttle.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Chuck78; 07-31-2014, 08:18 PM.
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Now, to straighten myself out, I must admit that I was mistaken, and corrected myself by digging up the Suzuki parts fiches...Turns out my $26 purchase was a goldmine to me at least. I was assuming that what Suzuki calls the "Breader Pipe" was the needle jet, as it looks very similar to 20 different kinds of needle jets on the jetsrus.com needle jet page (I think most of those have the 2 parts combined into 1). The brass part that pressed into the carb where the needle inserts into is actually the needle jet, and the breader pipe threads into the body and presses the needle jet in place. AND as you see in my superimposed image, the parts i got are in fact the o-4 needle jet part number and look like what I need from the fiches! Good thing, too, as it seems as if not a single one is available from Suzuki anymore, as witnessed by the lack of a price and "ADD" to cart button below:

Now I am still left wondering how much affect the main air jet (non-removeable) will have on things, comparing the 750 carbs to the 1000 carbs? 1.5mm main air jet and O-2 or O-4 on the 1000 vs .7mm/O-6 and 1.1mm/P-1... I think for the weekend ride, I will try and remove the breader pipe and press out the actual needle jets, and swap in the o-4, since I already need to change my main jets anyway. I also have these junk carbs that have nasty breeder tubes but maybe salvageable needle jets. On top of that, my junk/parts GS550 carbs have O-6 needle jets! So with the new set in the pic and the two junk carbs, I have o-2, o-4, and o-6. I am thinking that I am still best off swapping to the GS1000 carbs now (I will need a spare set of 750 carbs by next year anyway for a project bike), since they have the larger main air jet and smaller pilot air jet that match the larger cc bikes. Wow, the product of 3 hours of racking my brain and researching and thinking to myself...

Looking at it this way, the 750 carbs with an O-6/.7mm needle jet/main air jet vs the 1000 carbs with an O-2/1.5mm or O-4/1.5mm, it seems as if I am far better off with the 1.5mm main air jet. The GS850 main air jet size is not listed anywhere, so that is a mystery. Opinions???
                        Attached Files
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Alright, so with the O-4's and probably the GS1000 carb bodies, this is what I am going to use as a guide to shoot for:
                          Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          Found another good link

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/tech_tuning.html

Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR)
                          Higher AFR values correspond to a leaner (less fuel) condition. The practical operating range for most engines using gasoline fuel is from approximately 11.5 to 14.7 AFR. Combustion of a stoichiometric mixture (exactly enough air to burn all the fuel) results in 14.7 AFR indication. Automotive engines with catalytic converters operate near 14.7 AFR during cruise and idle. Air-cooled motorcycle and automotive race engines require a richer mixture to limit cylinder head temperature and prevent detonation. The table below lists recommended AFR values for engines without emission controls.
                          Operating Mode
                          Recommended AFR
                          Cold Start (first 30 sec)
                          11.5-12.5
                          Idle
                          12.8-13.5
                          Part Throttle Cruise
                          13.0-14.0
                          Wide Open Throttle
                          12.5-12.8 (values down to 11.5 may be used to reduce detonation)
                          Where do these values come from and what is the effect of AFR on engine torque? The chart below provides some answers (ref: Automotive Handbook 2nd edition by Bosch GmbH, pp. 439). In the absence of other limiting factors, maximum engine torque occurs at about 13.5 AFR. Under wide open throttle (WOT) conditions, a richer mixture (12.5 to 12.8 AFR) is generally required to reduce cylinder head temperatures and avoid detonation. While the torque curve appears relatively flat from 12 to 14.7 AFR, the effect on cylinder head temperature is more pronounced. Please remember that the chart is based on lab experiments under carefully controlled conditions and with gasoline octane high enough to avoid limiting effects from detonation.
                          Engines with race camshafts exhibit large cyclical variations at idle - necessitating a relatively rich idle to prevent stalling.

'79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Now, to straighten myself out, I must admit that I was mistaken, and corrected myself by digging up the Suzuki parts fiches...Turns out my $26 purchase was a goldmine to me at least. I was assuming that what Suzuki calls the "Breader Pipe" was the needle jet, as it looks very similar to 20 different kinds of needle jets on the jetsrus.com needle jet page (I think most of those have the 2 parts combined into 1). The brass part that pressed into the carb where the needle inserts into is actually the needle jet, and the breader pipe threads into the body and presses the needle jet in place. AND as you see in my superimposed image, the parts i got are in fact the o-4 needle jet part number and look like what I need from the fiches! Good thing, too, as it seems as if not a single one is available from Suzuki anymore, as witnessed by the lack of a price and "ADD" to cart button below:

Now I am still left wondering how much affect the main air jet (non-removeable) will have on things, comparing the 750 carbs to the 1000 carbs? 1.5mm main air jet and O-2 or O-4 on the 1000 vs .7mm/O-6 and 1.1mm/P-1... I think for the weekend ride, I will try and remove the breader pipe and press out the actual needle jets, and swap in the o-4, since I already need to change my main jets anyway. I also have these junk carbs that have nasty breeder tubes but maybe salvageable needle jets. On top of that, my junk/parts GS550 carbs have O-6 needle jets! So with the new set in the pic and the two junk carbs, I have o-2, o-4, and o-6. I am thinking that I am still best off swapping to the GS1000 carbs now (I will need a spare set of 750 carbs by next year anyway for a project bike), since they have the larger main air jet and smaller pilot air jet that match the larger cc bikes. Wow, the product of 3 hours of racking my brain and researching and thinking to myself...

Looking at it this way, the 750 carbs with an O-6/.7mm needle jet/main air jet vs the 1000 carbs with an O-2/1.5mm or O-4/1.5mm, it seems as if I am far better off with the 1.5mm main air jet. The GS850 main air jet size is not listed anywhere, so that is a mystery. Opinions???
                            Kiwi spec '79 850 VM26 carbs had 1.2 pilot airs and 1.5 main airs. Both were fixed.

The 850's had GS1000 cam grinds, so it's possible the VM26 carbs were identical in most aspects too. The slides and needles certainly were.

Those "Breader Pipes" should read "Bleeder Pipes". Maybe a typo, but probably some Japanese/English interpreter having a joke at the nips expense. They bleed air into the fuel to assist fuel atomisation. Commonly called emulsion tubes.

Looks like 850 or 1000 spec carbs will do the job, with minor tweaks.

Comment

Swapped to the gs1000 carbs to find that my "too rich" 110 mains in the 750 carbs were just about right on the larger air jet gs1000 carbs. I think I may bump to 112.5 again, as my afr's hit 14-15 at high rpm when we dipped into cooler ravines, or got hit with big cross winds.

My o-4 needle jets in the package with the o-4 suzuki part numer actually gave 0-3 stamped into them, turns out. I'm pretty good on afr's at half to 3/4, around 12's until 7500-8000+ it leans out in the 13's.

My big tuning problem is that I was having a hanging idle, so i richened the pilots. Then it was too rich to start (12:1). 1/8 throttle held constant would be decent at low rpm, but would lean out to 14-16 depending in how high I let the rpm's get (3700+). I need to take the pilot screw back to about 7/8 or 1 turn to get the good starting that I had with afr's in the 13's. The air screw really made a difference in rpm's turning it when the fuel screw was at 3/4-1. No difference noticed on the air adjustment with the fuel screws above.

Is this leaning on 1/8 throttle okay as the rpm climbs? Or is it a sign that I need richer than an o-3 and maybe then drop the needle a half clip postion to fix the 1/2-3/4 that was perfect before?
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                              X