Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting for an exhaust change.

Hey guys,

So I had my carbs rebuilt back in may due to a sticking float causing fuel to dump out of my left carbs air pod. Ran great for 1k miles and then started dumping fuel again this morning. I've decided to try my own hand at cracking them open this time, and I figured this would be the perfect time to re-jet for the exhaust change I just made. About 400 miles ago I ended up cutting off the stock mufflers and replacing them with a pair of shorty mufflers from Dime City. Just curious if someone has ever run a similar set up and can give me an idea of what jetting size I should be starting off with, and anything else you'd recommend I change around. 1985 GS450L with K&N pods, stock exhaust cut where the stock mufflers go with 12" Shorty Mufflers installed. No other engine related modifications to the bike.

Also, Dime City has a ton of Mikuni VM carbs. Is it worth it to swap the stock 450 carbs for Mikuni VMs? If I did, what size would be appropriate for a 450?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM.

They may not require rejetting. Dynojet always says the deciding factor is the intake, not the exhaust.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The bike did run pretty awesome with the current set up until the left float started sticking again.

Comment

You should at least start with looking at the plugs. Plug chops are very popular as the alternatives are more expensive. If you have K&N pods I'm guessing someone already changed the jetting. The exhaust changes (muffler swap) is not likely to make as much change as was already(should have been) done for the pods.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          You should at least start with looking at the plugs. Plug chops are very popular as the alternatives are more expensive. If you have K&N pods I'm guessing someone already changed the jetting. The exhaust changes (muffler swap) is not likely to make as much change as was already(should have been) done for the pods.
          It has brand new plugs and I confirmed with the guy who rebuilt my carbs in May that he did everything to factory spec.

Comment

Sounds like some stuff is flowing past the petcock sock. Do you have an inline fuel filter?

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but I recognized a opportunity to learn something. What are plug chops?

Comment

Run wide open for a couple seconds, pull the clutch and shut off the engine. Pull over, stop, and check the plugs. It's a way of checking the mixture/jetting. The bigger the bike the more room you need. Be careful, the police are not, typically, understanding

Comment

Originally posted by smcneish View Post
                  Sorry to hijack the thread but I recognized a opportunity to learn something. What are plug chops?
                  Do a search and you will find MANY answers to that very question.

Comment

Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
                    Run wide open for a couple seconds, pull the clutch and shut off the engine. Pull over, stop, and check the plugs. It's a way of checking the mixture/jetting. The bigger the bike the more room you need. Be careful, the police are not, typically, understanding
                    Ummmm.... a couple of seconds ain't gonna' cut it. I would say a minimum of thirty seconds (which will cover 1/2 mile at 60MPH). You don't have to be in highest gear, WOT in second is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by smcneish View Post
                      Please check out my other vids and subscribe! Thanks!

Confused me too when he first said it. This video was extremely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                        Sounds like some stuff is flowing past the petcock sock. Do you have an inline fuel filter?
                        Yup. Brand new in May when the carbs were re-done. When this happened before the guy who did my carbs found the float in the left carb was actually cracked.I'm curious to see what's causing it this time. I think I've read somewhere that it's possible for the floats to catch on the bowl gasket? We'll see once I get them apart.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                          Ummmm.... a couple of seconds ain't gonna' cut it. I would say a minimum of thirty seconds (which will cover 1/2 mile at 60MPH). You don't have to be in highest gear, WOT in second is good enough.
                          How would one keep WOT in second gear for 30 seconds?

Comment

Originally posted by huntb View Post
                            How would one keep WOT in second gear for 30 seconds?
                            you just have to keep the throttle pinned all the way open is all. that's why they're recommending 2nd gear. 2nd gear should get you at least 60-70mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                              you just have to keep the throttle pinned all the way open is all. that's why they're recommending 2nd gear. 2nd gear should get you at least 60-70mph.
                              That would be worth watching

Comment

Working...
                              X