Exhaust "Equalizer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust "Equalizer"

I am running stock exhaust on my GS425 and noticed that there is a pipe connecting the two sides labeled an "equalizer", as I assume it equalizes pressure between the two exhaust pipes. My issue is that the pipe is badly mangled and it would seem that it is not air tight. Are there any experienced members out there who can tell me if I can cap each side off and forget the equalizer all together? Will this lead to damage? I am in the process of painting my pipes and would like to modify them, if necessary, before reinstallation. Thanks in advance.

-GSP

The equalizer is not required. It smoothed out the pulses, but you don't have to have it.

Comment

most "V" engine cars(4-6-8-ect) all have equilizers. they help in the power band by equilizing exhaust pressures and pulses from both motor banks, or in our case, all cylinders. so it's actually kind of better to have one, but not necessary.

Comment

Is the H pipes required on the 81 850GL? Its in rough shape and would like to replace but other pressing issues right now.

Comment

Originally posted by smcneish View Post
          Is the H pipes required on the 81 850GL? Its in rough shape and would like to replace but other pressing issues right now.
          Two different people just explained what it does AND stated that it's not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
            Two different people just explained what it does AND stated that it's not needed.
            sorry to ask an apparent to you "stupid" question, but as I am new to the GS platform the original question was posed based on a 1979 GS425. I asked if this was the same case for the 1981 GS850 GL.....clearly a minor difference in the bikes. Thanks for the answer non the less.

Comment

It is not a stupid question.
              For our GS motorcycles, it is a nice to have if, for nothing else, it keeps the bike in original condition. However, if you find that you will be better off without it, you can remove it and block off the pipes.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

sorry to ask an apparent to you "stupid" question, but as I am new to the GS platform the original question was posed based on a 1979 GS425. I asked if this was the same case for the 1981 GS850 GL.....clearly a minor difference in the bikes. Thanks for the answer non the less.
                The equalizer (or cross over) tubes are never needed, but they do help a bit with some types of exhaust systems. If you have bigger problems then worry about them first and get to the exhaust when you can.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

And here is how to get rid of the H pipe on your 850:
                  Find some 1 1/2" exhaust pipe. I found mine at Auto Zone (but they only had one piece, so had to go to another store). I have also gone to an exhaust shop, when helping someone else with this. Have one end expanded a bit so you can slide another pipe into it, then cut four slots at least one inch long around the expanded end. Cut the pipes to 7" length.

Use the stock gaskets and clamps to attach the new pipes to your #2 and #3 header pipes.

Put the system back together, enjoy the quieter ride.

Here is why I had to do mine:

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes and thanks... steve that is about how it looks for me and thanks for the info n getting it done. thanks for the more helpful responses like I said earlier I have no clue how similar and how different each model of the GS is(yet). Just wanted to verify thanks folks.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    It is not a stupid question.
                    For our GS motorcycles, it is a nice to have if, for nothing else, it keeps the bike in original condition. However, if you find that you will be better off without it, you can remove it and block off the pipes.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2014, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Now that I know what the h-pipe looks like on the gs series, you might have been able to go with an x-pipe cross over, which would produce a better yield in power, driveability, and potentially fuel economy.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                        Now that I know what the h-pipe looks like on the gs series, you might have been able to go with an x-pipe cross over, which would produce a better yield in power, driveability, and potentially fuel economy.
                        Don't go by the pictures that I posted. The 850 is the only one that I know of that has an H-pipe like that.

All of the others I have seen were simple pipes that were between header pipes 2&3. To make it even more interesting, some of them are welded in place, making the #2 and #3 header pipe a single assembly, while others have a slip-joint between them.

The only consistency in the GS exhaust systems is that they are all different.

Last edited by Steve; 08-02-2014, 03:42 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Kool_Aid, Steve, etc. I have a slip pipe on the 425. Either my pipes aren't true or the equalizer pipe is mangled because I'm leaking through that area. Very loud. I'll have to cap them off either way, I think. Any suggestions on the most effective way to do that?
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM. Reason: stupidity

Comment

Are the pipes damaged or is it possibly just the gasket?

There is a replaceable gasket that fits in the slip joint. If it is missing, there will be a noticeable increase in the noise.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Here is why I had to do mine:

I have a fairly good one of those laying around. For/From 850G. I don't recall why it is that I have one.

The gaskets mentioned above are called "connectors" on microfisch, and not shown well.
                              Mine had to be pryed/cut/chipped out like they were hard ceramic or asbestos or something. New ones are wire mesh.
                              Bass Cliff site has tutorial of pictures I sent him about those.

Last edited by Redman; 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM.
                              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                              X