Turbo lag like symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo lag like symptoms

81 gs850 stock pipes air Box properly sealed. I've had carbs apart and I unganged and cleaned all parts soaked in dip(jets etc). Diaphrams brandnew. Immediate throttle response results in a slight lag in power. Also above 6 grand bike is very flat. I had pods on it and it had no bottom but good top. Now with stock air box the results are reversed. Sounds lean to me. Could float height settings cause this. On freeway bike lurches unless I run half choke which screams lean. Any help would be appreciated.

What size jets are in the carbs? How many turns out are the mixture screws set at?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If you are not changing the jetting when you swap between pods and box, I suspect that is your most likely problem.

Comment

Stock jets and I got them two and a quarter out. Also #3 cylinder pipe cracked comin out of converter going into pipe

Comment

I never swapped jets out when I put pods on. Ordering jets and k&n pods next week. Pods I bought we're cheapies. Last time I cheap out on zuki

Comment

The screws you are turning are air/fuel screws not jets, the jets are under the bowls. With pods plan on at least 3-5 jet size's jump.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Lol I know where the jets are. The bike is completely stock and stock I've read two and a half out but I found 2 and quarter out it idles best and runs best. Could float height cause it. Tid bit of info. I've noticed on turns and coming out of turns the response is worse so maybe float level is incorrect.

Comment

float height could easily be your problem. how did you measure it during the carb rebuild? hows the idling? is that crack in the pipecausing a pretty good leak?
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

We'll I never checked float height. The crack is the full diameter of the pipe. But it was doing this before crack.

Comment

How can I find specs for the height of floats? Bass cliff site

Comment

Originally posted by dstygg90 View Post
                      How can I find specs for the height of floats? Bass cliff site
                      Suzuki factory Manual .

Comment

Your turbo lag symptoms matched mine, and I raised the needles till I got what I wanted. Worked good for me.

Comment

How do I raise the needles bcause this ton has crossed my mind because response down like from like idle to say 2-2500 is fine but above that is like the fore mentioned. I thought perhaps the needles were opening too slow, and coming out of corners I add throttle early like in a turbocharged application to get power out of the corner

Comment

Working...
                          X