Slide needle identification please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slide needle identification please

VM29SS, 2 different sets of carbs, 2 different needles fitted. Bottom one in pic is OEM Suzuki 6DP2.
    Top one has no ID marks on it. The set with the unknown needles has larger mains and pilots than standard so my initial guess was they are Dynojet needles. I have searched the internet for pictures and have contacted Dynojet (with pictures) and still haven't got a definitive answer.
    Can anyone recognize them?
    TIA

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

The top one looks like a custom made needle for racing to me. Does it still have the clip adjustments?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
      The top one looks like a custom made needle for racing to me. Does it still have the clip adjustments?
      yes it does, 5 clip positions, same as stock.
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

For other than racing only use, I would install the stock type tapered needles.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          For other than racing only use, I would install the stock type tapered needles.
          yeah i was thinking that, they do look a bit drastic. just wondered if anyone could positively ID them
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

found this pic on internet, a DJ kit for a 80-81 CB650, looks pretty similar to me........

1978 GS1085.

Comment

ok, after much research ind investigating, i think i can safely say these are needles from a LEDAR kit.
              case closed.
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

In those carbs, in NZ I saw two varieties of needle. What you've got are the 6DP2 which were the "export" needles used in conjunction with a fairly rich idle jet. The others I saw were the Japanese home market needle - when i find my notoebook from that period I can tell you the numbers... - which is substantially richer in the middle and used with a leaner idle jet. These were found in used grey imports.
                Leon Moss was a clever bugger - those Ledar needles look like the later RS series needles which feature the enrichening reduced diameter tips. When you've got the carbs on I'd try them....

Comment

thanks Greg, yeah i think i will give them a try, just to see how they behave.
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

In those and similar flat slides, you get good bottom end response with a fairly rich pilot jet - more correctly called a slow run jet in those. Given that it's going to continue bleeding fuel all the way through the range, the fat - or lean - needle is there to cover this period. Wide open, to get the right mixture, you need to go richer on the needle, hence the step.
                    If you're running those on your GS1000, I'd try the Ledar needles with maybe a 35 - 40 idle jet.

Comment

i thought the accelerator pumps were there to aid the low end response? what size mains do you suggest? stock are 97.5 and they came with 130's. will be running pods and 4into1 open baffle pipe.
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        i thought the accelerator pumps were there to aid the low end response? what size mains do you suggest? stock are 97.5 and they came with 130's. will be running pods and 4into1 open baffle pipe.
                        The pumps on those are very basic. Many years ago we did a back to back test with and without the pumps on a GSXR1100 racebike. Very little discernable difference. Later RS series have WAY better pumps....
                        If you've left them at 29mm, I'd start at 130 mains.
                        I seriously don't know how many sets of those I've bored to 33mm straight through...I used to set them up for most of the local speedway TQ runners - GSXR750's on Methanol. Now you have a lathe, you can do it....I made up an expanding mandrel on which I put the bare carb body, small end out from the chuck. Boring is easy, then hand blend the entry curvature....

Comment

yeah i have 2 sets of carbs, so i am going to leave 1 as standard 29mm and bore the other set to 33mm.
                          that way i can swap them over between the two easily and see which works best.
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                          X