Petcock questions and concerns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock questions and concerns.

I recently purchased a 1980 Suzuki GS750L. Im still fairly new to bikes and this is only my second one. It needed the standard stuff, new oil, air filter, oil filter, and tires. Im looking at this petcock and I've never seen one like this before.
    DSCF0256.jpg
    So here are my questions:

1) Why is there no tap lever? Are they not needed on these petcocks? Every one I've seen on Ebay by K&L advertise them without tap levers even looking at the OEM parts.
    2) It appear to be set to Prime. Have I been flooding the thing?
    3) What are the positions for this petcock? Is straight up and down the "on" position, and slightly to the left is "prime"? Is there a reserve?
    4) Could I just use a screwdriver to change the position?
    5) I cant upload a 2nd picture but the 2 hoses in the back seem to have fuel (?) on them so I'm thinking there is a leak somewhere.

Thanks. Im still fairly new to all this so take it easy

Here is the other photo of the hose
    DSCF0255.jpg

Comment

The 1980 dreaded leverless petcock! New to you bike? figure it has failed or is about to. Others will explain how it works, but this guy will sell you new one, so you know it's good and you can move on to other maintenance issues ASAP.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Search out Basscliff's website and download yourself a manual. Details about how the petcock functions are contained within.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Search out Basscliff's website and download yourself a manual. Details about how the petcock functions are contained within.
          Thanks!
          Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          The 1980 dreaded leverless petcock! New to you bike? figure it has failed or is about to. Others will explain how it works, but this guy will sell you new one, so you know it's good and you can move on to other maintenance issues ASAP.

http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/th...S850%2C/Detail
          Haha yeah. Even my dad thought it was broken and he is not new to motorcycles. Picked up the bike for $800 and it had 12,000 miles but the new parts (and side panels because those were stolen) cost me another $600. I think I'll get a new one I'm just not sure I want to shell out the $50 right now. But better to be safe then sorry. No other big maintenance issues right now but I'll have the carbs clean in the winter.

Comment

Alright I found the tap leverless petcock in a GS1000 manual. Have to change it with a screwdriver. It seems that my petcock was set in the "prime" position but I dont think that will be a problem because the bike has been sitting. (I really really hope so) Hopefully I havent caused any damage. I've only ran the bike to test ride and to ride it up the driveway. Waiting for the tires to come then I can almost ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Lankarge View Post
              Alright I found the tap leverless petcock in a GS1000 manual. Have to change it with a screwdriver. It seems that my petcock was set in the "prime" position but I dont think that will be a problem because the bike has been sitting. (I really really hope so) Hopefully I havent caused any damage. I've only ran the bike to test ride and to ride it up the driveway. Waiting for the tires to come then I can almost ride!
              If your petcock was set in the prime position when parked and it had gas in the tank (did it?), you stand a good chance you have fuel in the oil now. Pull your oil cap and check to see if you can smell any gas from the opening. If you do, set the petcock off prime ASAP. AND drain your oil and replace it with new oil and oil filter. Gas in oil is serious. Only time when you really want to use prime is when the bike has set for a bit and the gas evaporated out of the fuel bowls (yes it can evaporate), set the petcock on prime for a few minutes to fill the fuel bowls back up, then set the petcock back into its normal running setting. Just a note, might wanna pull the spark plugs and spin the motor a few times to make sure there isn't any gas left in the cylinders.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                If your petcock was set in the prime position when parked and it had gas in the tank (did it?), you stand a good chance you have fuel in the oil now. Pull your oil cap and check to see if you can smell any gas from the opening. If you do, set the petcock off prime ASAP. AND drain your oil and replace it with new oil and oil filter. Gas in oil is serious. Only time when you really want to use prime is when the bike has set for a bit and the gas evaporated out of the fuel bowls (yes it can evaporate), set the petcock on prime for a few minutes to fill the fuel bowls back up, then set the petcock back into its normal running setting. Just a note, might wanna pull the spark plugs and spin the motor a few times to make sure there isn't any gas left in the cylinders.
                It only has a little bit of gas in it. I wont take the risk anyways. I planned on changing the oil and will do it this week. Got a new oil filter coming already. I'll pull the spark plugs tomorrow to make sure. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X