Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP ! Carb Mount inside diameter and alignment to intake port question

Hi everyone,

Newbie GS850 owner here working on getting my bike on the road. It apparently sat for a while before I bought it. Details in the projects rebuild forum under the title Just bought non-running GS850.

I noticed the carb mounts all seem to be about 1/16" smaller Inside diameter than the intake ports. Also they lineup slightly towards one side of the port and down towards the bolt hole. It seems as if the bolt holes in the mounts are located just a little off causing this misalignment. Anyone here ever see this ? Are the carb mounts available in different sizes (ID).

It doesn't seem to make any difference if I turn them upside down or swap them to the wrong cylinder. They all do eaxctly the same thing however I mount them. Maybe the ports have been reworked ?

Does anyone here know the stock diameter of the opening of the intake ports or have any idea what's going on with this ?

HELP !

You might have to post some pics so we can see exactly you mean.

There are 32mm and 34mm carbs depending on the engine size but I don't know if bolt holes, spacing, and whatnot lines up betweent the two sizes. If so, then maybe a PO has unknowingly the wrong parts on the bike.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

This photograph shows evidence of misaligment. It does seem like 2mm is the amount it it off :

Comment

I buttoned up everything and with a stock air filter in place the engine seems to run fine with these carb mounts. I'm still not sure they are the correct ones but there does not seem to be any vacuum leaks. Hopefully things stay that way.

Comment

Working...
        X