Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb tuning

Hello Everyone,

Just got my 82 gs650 up and running after a rebuild and carb rebuild and its running good the plugs look lean I drove it around for aboue 20 min pulled the plugs and the tips were still white tried adjusting the carbs but had not change. To add fuel does the air screw need to go out or in? I went out and didn't see a difference.

The air screw is just for idle, and meter the fuel mix to the pilot jets up to 1/4 throttle, at most. The slid needles take over from about 1/8 throttle, and are in effect until about 3/4 throttle. from there to full throttle, only the main jets are in effect.
    1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
    sigpic
    My GS550 Build

Comment

Ok so i have been driving around at 1/4 or less and the plugs are white that's lean then which means I need to adjust them right for more fuel

Comment

Is it pinging on accel?
        If not drive it some more to get some color.
        Is it idling ok?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No poping idle is perfect doesn't hang and fires up very easy. Only weird thing is if I put the choke on and strart it it will wanna reg up really high like 5k don't know if that's normal or related. I will ride it today and post a picture of the plugs.

Comment

Your choke works.
            That's a good thing. Don't open it up so much since 5k is bad until you get some oil at the top.
            I didn't say popping but pinging. Detonation. Check your plugs and if they are speckled that is detonation.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Do you have airbox on and filter element in?
              Just to make sure..... The screw you are messing with (seeming with no effect) is the mixture screw just to right of circled #5 in this attached pic?

image.jpg
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X