I help & advice required. Suzuki gs1000/gs1100 set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I help & advice required. Suzuki gs1000/gs1100 set up

Love the site thanks guys...please could someone give me some advice on carb set up. I have a cafe racer based on 1979 gs1000s, it has gs1100 barrels and head 8v,coupled to mikuni cv 34 or 36mm carburettors, these have individual air filter pods on. The exhaust system is a 4 into 1 vance & hines. When I got the bike it was running sweet at low revs and poor at high revs. Smelt really rich, plugs confirmed this on inspection the main jets fitted were 132 (surely miles to big) not sure of stock size but perhaps 105 ish? I have just ordered main jets size 120 as starting point, I guess it's going to be trail and error, but may I ask this of you guys who have so much more experience than me. What jet sizes would you start with? and any recommendations would be great fully received. Thank you mark

Welcome to GSR.

I do not have the experience with customizing to know what typical size jets for pods and pipe.

But I can tell you that stock on 8v 1100 engine (82 1100G) has
    Mikuni BS34SS 49400 with
    Main #115 (even stock, lot of folks go up 2)
    Pilot #40
    and (as long as I am looking it up) Starter #50, Pilot Air #170
    Float heighth 22.4mm 0.88"

Last edited by Redman; 08-23-2014, 07:45 AM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thank you not only for your welcome but also taking the time to respond.

Comment

I can't imagine 120's will be large enough with the pods and 4 into 1 and larger barrels. It will be a trial and error though for sure. One thing you will need is at least the next size up on your pilot jets. Maybe order some 125's while you're at it. A lot of people will order 3-4 different jet sizes. You likely will have to change the height of you main needle as well but start with the main and pilot jets. Welcome to the site, lets see some pictures of this beast.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

First off, where did you come up with a 132 main jet number? If those are not Dynajet jets (which would be too lean) and are Mikuni jets, they should read 132.5.
          Which brand/style pod filters? How much packing is still in your exhaust can? What altitude range to you normally ride in?
          Some basic starting points if the ports on the intake side of the carbs are not blocked by your filter necks and the can is correctly packed...
          Riding below 4,500': 127.5 Mikuni main jets, stock pilots, adjust fuel mixture screws to suite.
          Riding above 4,500': 125 Mikuni main jets, stock pilot jets, adjust fuel mixture screws to suite.

And, of course, post some pictures of your bike.

Comment

Here goes I hope the picture will load. Please keep the advice coming.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
              First off, where did you come up with a 132 main jet number? If those are not Dynajet jets (which would be too lean) and are Mikuni jets, they should read 132.5.
              Which brand/style pod filters? How much packing is still in your exhaust can? What altitude range to you normally ride in?
              Some basic starting points if the ports on the intake side of the carbs are not blocked by your filter necks and the can is correctly packed...
              Riding below 4,500': 127.5 Mikuni main jets, stock pilots, adjust fuel mixture screws to suite.
              Riding above 4,500': 125 Mikuni main jets, stock pilot jets, adjust fuel mixture screws to suite.

And, of course, post some pictures of your bike.
              What he said. Very good advice here. Hey "GSX1100E", I realized he's dealing with CV carbs, would he need to go to a Dyna kit?
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The main jets were 132.5. When the bike is opened up it feels choked up suffocating even. Also smells of petrol.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                  What he said. Very good advice here. Hey "GSX1100E", I realized he's dealing with CV carbs, would he need to go to a Dyna kit?
                  I haven't yet in over three decades of experimenting and I have a few Dynajet kits new in the box to compare to my results.
                  Disclaimer: Your results may vary.

Still need to actually see and hear (figuratively speaking) what altitudes that he runs in and which parts he has along with their conditions.

Comment

Azr. Another picture, thanks for posting
                    Attached Files

Comment

more info is needed for us to point you in the right direction
                      carb size needs to be known for sure (inside diameter of the engine side of the carb)
                      who makes the pod filter because some are restrictive to airflow while others allow for higher airflow
                      who makes the pipe if unknown then is it a free flowing or loud pipe or is it quiet
                      what year is the 1100 head and carbs this will help determine the stock jetting
                      what size are the pilot jets
                      is the needle adjustable
                      how many turns out are your pilot screws
                      altitude can play a large part in getting the jetting correct
                      all this info will be needed for the people here to help you get the jetting reasonably close to having it run porperly
                      once you are close then it will take some trial and error with minor settings changes on your part to get it properly tuned
                      remember when making jetting changes only change one thing at a time and test ride it so you can see and feel the affect of the single change

Comment

Originally posted by Markyd View Post
                        Love the site thanks guys...please could someone give me some advice on carb set up. I have a cafe racer based on 1979 gs1000s, it has gs1100 barrels and head 8v,coupled to mikuni cv 34 or 36mm carburettors, these have individual air filter pods on. The exhaust system is a 4 into 1 vance & hines. When I got the bike it was running sweet at low revs and poor at high revs. Smelt really rich, plugs confirmed this on inspection the main jets fitted were 132 (surely miles to big) not sure of stock size but perhaps 105 ish? I have just ordered main jets size 120 as starting point, I guess it's going to be trail and error, but may I ask this of you guys who have so much more experience than me. What jet sizes would you start with? and any recommendations would be great fully received. Thank you mark
                        A wib band o2 sensor really is better than plug chops but this is the basic process for CV's.

Comment

Working...
                        X