Proper intake boots for 34mm RS carbs on GS1000 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
    Don't forget anti-seize compound esp with SS threading into Aluminum.
    Indeed... Seizing and galling are no bueno...
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Comment

you will find that a washer that fits over the shoulder will be far to big to fit in the recess in the rubber. typically an 8mm washer is around 13mm minimum diameter.
      A better option that i would use is to make up some small spacers, 6mm id by 8.5mm od, same thickness as the boot flange. then you would be able to use standard size 6mm bolts and washers to clamp it down tight.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        you will find that a washer that fits over the shoulder will be far to big to fit in the recess in the rubber. typically an 8mm washer is around 13mm minimum diameter.
        A better option that i would use is to make up some small spacers, 6mm id by 8.5mm od, same thickness as the boot flange. then you would be able to use standard size 6mm bolts and washers to clamp it down tight.
        I will measure this once the boots arrive - my existing boots have just enough room for a 13mm washer or bolt head. I'm hoping the new boots will be the same...
        René Descartes

Comment

For the record, these fasteners work perfectly with the Mikuni boots:

1 90895A030 18-8 Stainless Steel Serrated Belleville Washer, 5/16"/M8 Screw Size, .52" OD, .03" Thick, Packs of 10
          2 90323A241 Low Profile 18-8 Stainless Steel Shoulder Screw, 8MM Diameter X 6MM Long Shoulder, M6 Thread
          René Descartes

Comment

clipped washer?
            McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

BTW, my boots on my 850 are labeled R & L, as they have "offsets" is this different for larger cc bikes?
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic
            1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
            X