suzuki gs650 baffle removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suzuki gs650 baffle removal

how hard is to take the baffles out of my gs650? are they welded on?

Originally posted by hitd View Post
    Why are you trying to take them out? Your going to ruin the bikes tone and how it runs if you do that? You want it louder I suppose...

Comment

yeah i want it to be louder. my friend told me his buddy had a similar year gs650 and taking it out didn't make enough of a difference to really mess up performance...if i can i'd rather take it out than drill new holes so that i can put it back if i want to sell the bike later

Comment

The baffles are not designed to be removed. If you manage to get them out you would likely not be able to replace them. Why not just get a 4-into-2 or 4-into-1 and call it a day?

Comment

I've seen it done where you just saw the back half of the muffler off. It is so cool There aren't any baffles that are designed to be removed in it. Why not ask your friend who did it?
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

If the cool sound is what you're after, 4-into-1 is the way to go.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Take a sawsall to the muffler. Show um who's boss.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This is a quote from your other thread

"i live in nyc so its been amazing to be able to just hop on this and get out of town on a whim. so far it is treating me great"

It won't be treating you great if you go and modify the exhaust so why don't you just ride the snot out of it and stop worrying about how loud it is. Increasing the exhaust flow or adding a 4-1 exhaust is likely going to necessitate jetting changes and your bike will need to be well sorted to get back to the point you are now.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                  This is a quote from your other thread

"i live in nyc so its been amazing to be able to just hop on this and get out of town on a whim. so far it is treating me great"

It won't be treating you great if you go and modify the exhaust so why don't you just ride the snot out of it and stop worrying about how loud it is. Increasing the exhaust flow or adding a 4-1 exhaust is likely going to necessitate jetting changes and your bike will need to be well sorted to get back to the point you are now.

yeah but im going to have all winter to mess around so rejetting is not the end of the world. i'm not set on doing it, was just curious if there was an easy way to take the baffle out. i do a lot of city riding and there are tons of terrible drivers so it would be nice to be a little louder

Comment

yeah but im going to have all winter to mess around so rejetting is not the end of the world. i'm not set on doing it, was just curious if there was an easy way to take the baffle out. i do a lot of city riding and there are tons of terrible drivers so it would be nice to be a little louder
                    Loud pipes will not save your life. Get one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy...orn-94117.html

Comment

Agree on the big fat horn. A headlight modulator (flashing) might help too.

One of the main things that kills GS bikes is the lack of maintenance and reckless modding. Mod the exhaust or air filter setup and the engine will run lean, which means hot. Add this on top of neglected valve adjustment and it's just a matter of time before the valves burn and the bike hits the junk yard.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had an '82 GS650L that still had the stock exhaust. I too wanted it to be more tonal. I drilled the ends out where those 5 "holes" are. Couldn't tell you why those fake holes are there, but it worked very well. Gave the bike a better sound (not loud and obnoxious), just a deeper tone. And many here will argue my findings that it ran quite a bit stronger. Could be I was running rich to begin with, but it did run better...

Anyway, I sized up a drill bit that JUST fit in those "holes" and drilled them all through...
                        Last edited by Spyder; 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM.
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

If you just install a 4-into-1 pipe, you may not have to rejet at all.

Trust me, the 4-into-1 pipe is the sound you're after. Even with a relatively quiet baffle, it'll make music in the top half of the tach.

I'm in the city too, if you want to ride. I like to take the Palisades Parkway up to Harriman/Bear Mountain.

There's some kind of charity ride on Long Island this Sunday; 1500 bikes expected.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have to think that you are trolling with this statement. Man, people miss emergency vehicle sirens, TRAIN whistles, and any other assortment of warnings. A baffle-free pipe is not going to help you get smashed by an inattentive driver.

But, to answer the question..on your model, you cannot remove the baffle in a way to reverse it, and still make it functional and esthetically pleasing. If it's in good shape, I'd keep it stock and go with a 4:1 (or 4:2 if you can find one) so you can provide it when you eventually sell the bike. It should help retain more value in the motorcycle.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I just removed my baffles on my 1980 GS550e, yes, I did want it louder. [prepared for the retaliation] I cut the pipes down about 5-6 inches and pulled the inner pipes out. It wasn't hard to do with simple tools. Doesn't look too rough, I smoothed out the edges etc. Took it for a ride right after to see the damage I'd done but didn't notice much change. Key word being "notice", I'm going to continue to do what i need to do to readjustment and make it run just as well as it did before but so far I'm stoked on the way it sounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X